PTR record without domain

Todor Petrov

Jun 14, 2016, 4:18:51 AM6/14/16
to VegaDNS
Hi,
I try to add PTR record in my system. Always to the ptr record is automatically  added the domain and of course it ends not with .in-addr.arpa. and it does not work.
Does anybody know how to avoid this automatically added domain?
Br
Todor

Bill Shupp

Jun 14, 2016, 1:13:54 PM6/14/16
to veg...@googlegroups.com
It's not entirely clear what you're doing, but here's how PTR records work in VegaDNS:

In the case of IPv4, you must create the domain ending in in-addr.arpa that has been delegated to your DNS servers, and then add the records to that domain.  The Hostname will end in the domain name, including the in-addr.arpa suffix, and the value will be what you want it to resolve to, i.e. server1.mydomain.com.

In the case of IPv6, you can use AAAA+PTR, and the AAAA as well as PTR records will be created, but the caveat is that it won't actually resolve unless you separately create the PTR domain (ending in ip6.arpa in this case).  You can also just use a PTR record for your ip6.arpa domain.

So what you describe sounds like you're trying to add a PTR record to a non in-addr.arpa domain, which will fail validation, and even if it didn't, wouldn't resolve anyway.

Cheers,

Bill

Todor Petrov

Jun 15, 2016, 3:39:31 AM6/15/16
to VegaDNS
Thank you. I did not understand how vegadns/tinydns manage the records. Now I think I understand the logic and should fix the problem.
Should I create more records in the in-addr.arpa domain to be operational (mx and A)? My records in that domain are always PTR.

thanh nguyenq

Aug 15, 2016, 4:06:14 AM8/15/16
to VegaDNS

Hi Bill
Can you guide me how to add PTR record with VegaDNS, example: i have dns server 192.168.1.182 and want to set up PTR record for domain ducthanh.com.
You can see the picture for my error.

Vào 00:13:54 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 15 tháng 6 năm 2016, Bill Shupp đã viết:

Brian Chamberlain

Aug 15, 2016, 4:27:48 AM8/15/16
to veg...@googlegroups.com
Hi There

You need to create a new domain firstly

1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

then in that domain you create a new record for hostname

182.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa type PTR with the address being whatever you want to reverse resolve to.

hth

Brian

--

Brian Chamberlain

I.P. Telecom Limited
First Floor
Unit 1a The Hume Centre
Parkwest
Dublin 12
Ireland

thanh nguyenq

Aug 15, 2016, 9:57:10 PM8/15/16
to VegaDNS
Hi Brian

As your guild, i create new domain and add new record as picture, but can not reverse IP to domain name, can you see which error i got?

Vào 15:27:48 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 15 tháng 8 năm 2016, Brian đã viết:

Brian ::

Aug 16, 2016, 8:31:40 AM8/16/16
to veg...@googlegroups.com
If you are trying to do this with real IP space then you will need to update your inet num authority records with the dns servers that are authoritative for the subnets.

If you just want to test that tiny dns is working you can do a dig@dnsserver 1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa PTR and it should return the PTR record.

the vegadns screenshot looks fine at a quick glance.