installed 0.11.1 and not able resolve when updating data file

bruce lee

Dec 18, 2012, 4:57:57 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
Hi ..

installed 0.11.1 and once I run the update-data script it updates the data file correctly but then nothing works, can't resolve any domains, restoring old data file is only way to fix.

It seems only the 'default records' is resolving, did I miss a step ?

Bill Shupp

Dec 18, 2012, 5:08:40 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
Was this an upgrade? If so, what are the differences in the data
files generated by each? All upgrade steps required should be in the
UPGRADE file, though I can't confirm since I'm not on a computer right
now.

Cheers,

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

bruce lee

Dec 18, 2012, 5:59:54 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill ..

Nope not an upgrade, just straight up new install on ubuntu 12.04.1.

The formatting does seem a bit different, but I would think they should work since Tinydns hasn't been updated for a long while ..

from a quick look, for CNAMES vega adds 'C' in front, and my original data file has a '='

bruce lee

Dec 18, 2012, 6:05:17 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
I mean vegadns = 'C' and orig. data file = '+' not '='

bruce lee

Dec 18, 2012, 6:15:36 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
I think I am closer to figuring it out .. the 'C' and '+' have nothing to do with it.

I just added these records into the vegadns data file and it is resolving now.. just need to figure out what I missed when setting it up in vegadns

.test.com:172.16.100.232:a:259200
.ns1.test.com:172.16.100.232:a:259200
.test.com:172.16.100.229:b:259200

bruce lee

Dec 18, 2012, 6:29:32 PM12/18/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
fixed the problem .. i added a NS record with a '.' in front of the domain in vegadns and now everything works..

Thanks for the web interface :-)

Bill Shupp

Dec 20, 2012, 12:05:27 PM12/20/12
to veg...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes.  You definitely need the NS records or tinydns won't work.  Also, as you noticed, I use the longer formats rather than the compound records that DJB recommends.  The individual records are simpler to manage in the export process, and you end up with the same resolution.

Cheers,

Bill