Vega-lite: Load data from an absolute URL

Subhodip Sengupta

Mar 17, 2021, 11:26:21 AM3/17/21
to vega-js

​Apologies to begin with, because this may turn out to be a basic question that I haven’t figured out as yet and was searching for a quick resolution to.

I want to load data from an external data source (S3 / source dataset URL) and since Vega runtime resolves the specified data URL as relative and prefixes it with https://vega.github.io/editor/, it’s generating an erroneous path.

Is there a workaround to this? One would be to use inline data which isn’t preferable in my case. Since loading data from URL is an option, I was hoping that absolute paths would work. In the interest of time, if someone could highlight a quick fix or a way to override this functionality, it would really be helpful.

Thanks & regards,
Subho

Dominik Moritz

Mar 17, 2021, 1:38:07 PM3/17/21
to Subhodip Sengupta, vega-js
Hi Subho,

The editor does support absolute data URLs but you need to make sure that the server supports CORS. We could definitely improve the error handling.

Best wishes,
Dominik