Should this run on an 8088 PC?

touc...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2016, 1:57:47 PM11/2/16
to VDE_Editor
Locks up on the first screen of both VDE and the installer.
Prompting for an ESC, but doesn't accept it.
Do I need an earlier version?

dmccunney

Nov 2, 2016, 2:24:31 PM11/2/16
to VDE_Editor
Which version do you have, and what are you attempting to run on? An
older version of VDE ran on my old PC clone with a NEC V20 CPU, which
was an 8088 equivalent. A few more details about the target system
would help.

See https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/vde-files/files-section/vde165c.zip?attredirects=0
for 1.65c, the last version to support non-memory mapped display with
ANSI.SYS. You might have odd video getting in the way.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Eric Meyer

Nov 2, 2016, 4:12:27 PM11/2/16
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com

Oh, got it. Missed the different info in the subject line. This question is
about MSDOS now. The answer is yes, it should. If your PC is fully IBM
compatible it should run the latest version of VDE, 1.96A. If not it may
require 1.65C.

Moy Wong

Nov 2, 2016, 4:59:17 PM11/2/16
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
Would the ANSI device driver compatible version of VDE be helpful?

]Oh, got it. Missed the different info in the subject line. This question is
]
]--
]---Get VDE and related files at http://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/
]---
]You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VDE_Editor" group.
]

dmccunney

Nov 2, 2016, 5:24:19 PM11/2/16
to VDE_Editor
That was my first thought. Eric wrote VDE in Assembler and the MSDOS
port happened when the 8088 was the standard PC CPU. I don't believe
any code that required a later CPU ever got added. The thing I could
see getting in the way was non-standard video, where support for BIOS
writes instead of direct to video RAM might help.

Without more detail on the target hardware, I can't say more.
______
Dennis
--
______