Re: [VDE] Digest for vde_editor@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Thomas G. Hess

Jul 16, 2017, 6:51:06 PM7/16/17
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
DosBox has been ported to iOS. Google dosbox ios for about 136,000 results. I have been too busy to get VDE under a version of DosBox working on iOS. But when I retire . . .

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM, <vde_e...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"ioshk...@gmail.com" <ioshk...@gmail.com>: Jul 14 09:12AM -0700

Oh the work I got done on the go / spur of the moment, using the old and
glorious HP200LX and VDE editor. I was (and still am) a translator of movie
scripts, but more often than not I didn't have the luxury of a chair and a
table, because I was also working on movie sets.

Then a decade and a half later all the flat screens fell from the sky and
editing got real clunky.

Now I'm fighting for my editing Macro (which started in Word5 for DOS) to
make a come back and save humanity from "let thy tired eye command thine
pudgy finger to slide thingamabob until highlight is "just so" and thy can
strike backspace to effect a forward deletion!"

The bells and whistles are marvelous, but the editing power of Dr. Meyer's
38-tomatoes-in-that-itty-bitty-can? Donde està?

I have the programming skills of a slug. Zero. But it seems to me that in
the age of connectivity somebody should remind today's programmers that
nothing in God's great earth is more connective than txt editing.

Connective in its blind mechanics, it's pondered purpose and even in its
geography. And Re-connective in actual practice.

So while translating all day and all night and all afternoon... I posted
something on a blog
<http://onebuttoneditor.blogspot.it/2017/07/connective-editing.html>.

I think I can make editing on outta-yer-pocket flatscreens way the hell
better...
Well actually, I know I can, because I achieved a partial implementation
from a pretty damned good iOS program called TextKraft Pro
<http://www.infovole.de/en/this-and-that/more-freedom-for-translators-with-textkraft/>

But all I'm shooting for was that great editing power that I had using VDE
years and years ago!

In any case, a thank you from the bottom of my heart for VDE!
dmccunney <dennis....@gmail.com>: Jul 14 05:17PM -0400

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM, ioshk...@gmail.com
> table, because I was also working on movie sets.

> Then a decade and a half later all the flat screens fell from the sky and
> editing got real clunky.

VDE is not a lost cause on mobile. I have it running on my Android
tablet and use it with an external USB keyboard. I run it via an
Android port of DOSBox, an emulator intended to let users play old DOS
games on things that aren't DOS PCs. An assortment of other DOS stuff
is also there. The DOS programs live on an external microSD card and
are run from it. The Android port is called Magic DOSBox free. There are
several Android ports of DOSBox. Magic gets the nod because it passes
Control-key combinations through to the underlying application. The others
I looked art didn't, which made using VDE impossible.

For that matter, I have VDE up under Windows 10. Once again, DOSBox
is used, but in a fork called vDosPlus. (http://vdosplus.org/) vDosPlus is
intended to support DOS character mode business applications, and strips
out the graphics and sound support required for games. I know some folks
who learned word processing on the original WordStar, and will stop using
WS when you pry it from their cold, dead fingers. They have WS7 up
under Windows using vDosPlus and are delighted.

> make a come back and save humanity from "let thy tired eye command thine
> pudgy finger to slide thingamabob until highlight is "just so" and thy can
> strike backspace to effect a forward deletion!"

Backspace to delete *forward* is novel. What do you do when you need
to do an actual backspace?

> The bells and whistles are marvelous, but the editing power of Dr. Meyer's
> 38-tomatoes-in-that-itty-bitty-can? Donde està?

See above.

> nothing in God's great earth is more connective than txt editing.

> Connective in its blind mechanics, it's pondered purpose and even in its
> geography. And Re-connective in actual practice.

There are more plain text editors than I can keep track of, and
writing one seems to be a five-finger exercise for many programmers.
(I'm principal maintainer on TextEditors.org, and TextEditors has
documented over 1,800 editors on various platforms thus far.) I
collect them, and have looked at a hundred or so over the years. I
have very little use for an actual word processor, since I normally
don't care what the content *looks* like on a printed page, because I
don't print it. The end result is a file of ASCII text.

> better...
> Well actually, I know I can, because I achieved a partial implementation
> from a pretty damned good iOS program called TextKraft Pro

What I use, as mentioned, is Android. I don't believe DOSBox has been
ported to iOS. :(

There are a number of text editors for Android out there. I don't use it and
don't have a feel for what's available for iOS.

> But all I'm shooting for was that great editing power that I had using VDE
> years and years ago!

> In any case, a thank you from the bottom of my heart for VDE!

Seconded.
______
Dennis

Thomas G. Hess

Columbus OH 43212
c 360.791.0586

dmccunney

Jul 16, 2017, 7:06:10 PM7/16/17
to VDE_Editor
On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Thomas G. Hess <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> DosBox has been ported to iOS. Google dosbox ios for about 136,000 results.

I'm not surprised.

> I have been too busy to get VDE under a version of DosBox working on iOS.
> But when I retire . . .

The issue I had was finding an Android port of DOSBox that passed
Ctrl-key combos through to the underlying app. The other Android
ports I looked at didn't, and VDE was unusable. Magic DOSBox did, and
VDE runs fine. I don't know what the iOS ports might do.

The other potential issue is the the DOSBox shell serving in place of
COMMAND.COM is highly limited. But you can run the FreeDOS version of
COMMAND.COM, or the 4DOS COMMAND.COM replacement under DOSBox, and
4DOS is open source now too.

When I run Magic DOSBox, I'm placed at a C: prompt in the directory on
the external microSD card where I keep DOS apps. A batch file does
setup, running FreeDOS COMMAND or 4DOS and defining the PATH and
various environment variables, and loading a TSR or two. One thing
*not* supported under DOSBox is drivers loaded from CONFIG.SYS, but I
can live without those.

The other key requirement here is an external keyboard. There are
several virtual on-screen keyboards for Android, including a default
from Google, but using them for any extended entry is actively
painful. I have a USB KB as part of my tablet's case that works fine.
______
Dennis