CP/M version on Kaypro, saving files, er

touc...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2016, 1:57:47 PM11/2/16
to VDE_Editor
Hello:

I gave the final CP/M version a try on a Kaypro 10 running CPM 2.2.
When I save a file, to floppy or hard drive, the file seems to
save correctly but the status line reports [[  I/O ERROR ]]
(something like that).

Is there something misconfigured or is that a bug?

Eric Meyer

Nov 2, 2016, 2:22:11 PM11/2/16
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
Hi "touchetek"(?),

The CP/M versions were a very long time ago and I no longer seem to have
detailed information to support them. You're reporting two problems:

(1) "I/O ERROR" is the generic message for an error code being returned on any
disk read/write operation, in this case creating a new file, writing to it,
and closing it. Does this happen on the floppy drive or only the HD?

(2) Freezing at the initial screen would be a matter of basic keyboard input
not working -- which would prevent you from ever getting to #1.

In either case a problem is arising with the CP/M (or for keyboard, BIOS)
calls used for those purposes. This could be caused by conflict with some
other memory-resident software you may be running, or possibly even a damaged
copy of VDE. I don't recall a specific issue with Kaypros, but you could
check the documentation on that. It's nice that you're still running one;
sorry I can't be more helpful.

-- Eric Meyer.