vde and ODT support

iw2evk roberto

Jun 9, 2020, 10:11:51 AM6/9/20
to VDE_Editor
Hi ,
it's possible  add a write /read support in VDE for ODT files?

Thanks

Roberto

dmccunney

Jun 9, 2020, 1:02:38 PM6/9/20
to VDE_Editor
On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:11 AM iw2evk roberto <iw2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> it's possible add a write /read support in VDE for ODT files?

Eric can chime in with an authoritative answer, but offhand I think
that's unlikely.

The ODT file format is XML wrapped in a zip archive. (Microsoft
Office files use a similar strategy.) The XML ODT uses is defined
defined by a standard published by the OASIS Open Document
specification.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Adding support for reading/writing ODT files in VDE would be a
non-trivial exercise.

If you need to deal with an Open Office/Libre Office Writer file in
VDE, you are probably better advised to save it from Writer to a plain
text or RTF file which VDE can handle. (And if you use RTF, I
wouldn't expect all formatting to be preserved.)

> Thanks
> Roberto
______
Dennis

Eric Meyer

Jun 9, 2020, 2:20:34 PM6/9/20
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
dmccunney wrote:
> Adding support for reading/writing ODT files in VDE would be a
> non-trivial exercise.
>
> If you need to deal with an Open Office/Libre Office Writer file in
> VDE, you are probably better advised to save it from Writer to a plain
> text or RTF file which VDE can handle. (And if you use RTF, I
> wouldn't expect all formatting to be preserved.)

Hi Roberto,

Dennis has your answer here. The last release of VDE was over 10 years ago.
I still use it daily myself, but it's no longer in active development.

Best wishes -- Eric.

Roger Stott

Jun 10, 2020, 10:29:32 PM6/10/20
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Eric, I still use vde every day.
It's so quick for pushing around text, and it handles rectangular blocks soo well.
RS
Hobart, Tas.

--
---Get VDE and related files at http://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/
---

I also use ProtonMail - it's secure.

Eric Meyer

Jun 11, 2020, 12:47:24 AM6/11/20
to vde_e...@googlegroups.com
Roger Stott wrote:
> Thank you Eric, I still use vde every day.
> It's so quick for pushing around text, and it handles rectangular blocks
> soo well.
> RS
> Hobart, Tas.

Hi Roger, and you're most welcome. I hope all's well down there at this crazy
time. We had actually begun planning a visit when we saw so many places hit
by this summer's wildfires, and now there's COVID. But someday...

-- Eric.