A letter regarding anti-Asian violence

Cecilia Villasenor

Mar 12, 2021, 5:16:59 PM3/12/21
to vassar...@googlegroups.com

Dear ASA community,

We are writing this letter in the face of the heightened violence inflicted upon Asian Americans nationwide. Over the past year, anti-Asian American hate crimes have increased by almost 150 percent, and more recently, we’ve seen a surge of attacks against Asian elders

This sustained violence has been frightening and upsetting. Although we may not be directly impacted by these attacks, especially on campus, as Asians and Asian Americans we recognize that this is an issue that pertains to all of us. We want to reaffirm ASA’s commitment to creating a safe and nurturing environment for Vassar’s Asian and Asian American community. If you ever feel overwhelmed, angry, or afraid as a result of what’s been happening, please know that we are here for you.

We are currently planning ways ASA can further support the Asian community, including holding space for discussion and reflection. If there’s anything you want to see from us to help you process these events, please let us know! In the meantime, we’ve included a couple links in this email for further reading and resources.

With love,

ASA Executive Board

Stop AAPI Hate

Asian Americans Advancing Justice