newsletter #23~~

Trina Chou

May 2, 2021, 3:08:40 PM5/2/21
to vassar...@googlegroups.com
hello ASA peepz!

happy no-school day tomorrow! hope everyone enjoys the much needed (one day) break

also thank you to everyone who came to our speaker event with Nicole Chung and Matt Ortile! it was super duper inspiring to hear passages from their book and hear them discuss different aspects of their Asian-American identities. now i'm definitely considering buying their books and giving them a read for myself...

😆A reminder of what's happening with ASA this week:

1. 📣GB #23 is happening tomorrow from 7-8EST over zoom! it's ELECTION TIME! aka this GB, we'll be hearing from our candidates for next year's EB positions! so make sure to come so you can hear from all the wonderful people who may be running ASA next year :) this means that once we hear from all of our candidates, it will be time to vote! elections will be open Mon-Fri, so make sure to get your votes in. also - we're having food! if you'd like to place an order from tokyo express and you've been to at least two ASA GB meetings place an order here. WARNING: we are limiting it to the first 10 people to order! so gogoogogogogogogogo

2. MARK YOUR CALENDARS - the next ASA Day Mart will be NEXT SUNDAY, MAY 9 from 1pm-5pm at the Rocky Tent!

3. 🚨 Calling all first years! Your ASA, SEASA, and SASA first year reps are hosting a ALUM/UPPERCLASSMEN CONNECTION event as part of their first year event series! This week, we will be inviting 5 alums/upperclassmen that have been really involved with the Asian orgs to answer any questions you might have about navigating your own identity, on academic interests, or on whatever you so please! We hope to cater this event to your own interests and what you want to talk about, so we are open to hearing your suggestions! It will be on Tuesday, April 27th at 9:30 pm EST. Don’t miss out!

😯And some other fun things ~
  • 🎙The Southeast Asian Students Alliance presents a conversation with Third Andresen on Tuesday, May 4th at 8:30PM EST on Zoom! Dr. Andresen is currently a professor at University of Washington-Seattle teaching courses in the Comparative History of Ideas Department. He will speak about his experience in academia as a Filipino American and how it has influenced his work. He will share his current work regarding Hip Hop and archiving at the UW Library and also on how he is helping to implement Filipino American History curriculum in Washington State. Third Andresen brings a breadth of knowledge in navigating higher education access, equity, and inclusion for historically underrepresented and underserved communities. This event is open to anyone in the Vassar Community!

  • 👏Seniors of Color RSVP! Still tentatively scheduled for May 29, 7-9pm, please RSVP on this form to indicate if you are interested in attending.

  • Vassar Asian American Studies Working Group (VASAM) still needs participants for their focus group on the state of Asian American Studies at Vassar on May 2 (TODAY) from 2 to 3 PM!  Please fill in this google form if you are interested in participating.

anyways, enjoy your break! i hope everyone realizes we only have 4 weeks of school left!!!!!!
~ Trina 😺

voting cat.jpeg
VASAM Focus Group.png

trina chou

May 2, 2021, 3:21:17 PM5/2/21
to Asian Students’ Alliance (ASA) - GB Mailing List
clarification: the first year event will be this Tuesday May 4th at 9:30!!!

trina chou

May 3, 2021, 12:58:53 PM5/3/21
to Asian Students’ Alliance (ASA) - GB Mailing List
i bring yet another addendum to this week's newsletter!

A message from Annie Wang
  • Hello! For my final term project in AMST 388 (Archiving Asian America), I will be putting together a multimodal site with audio, images, and text to capture Asian American Joy as experienced by Vassar students during the COVID-19 pandemic. The songs will be compiled into a Spotify playlist and linked on the site for people to listen to as they browse through the images and stories in the digital archive. If you identify as Asian American or a Pacific Islander, you are welcome to fill out this survey! You may fill out as much or as little of this form as you would like. Link to survey here.
And from the LBGTQ+ Center and Women's Center!
  • The LGBTQ+ Center and Women’s Center in collaboration with ASA, SASA, and SEASA present the AAPI Month Kickoff Mixer. Join us for free food and good company on Graduation Hill as we celebrate the start of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. RSVP here: https://forms.gle/XvqSdkBobGftNxaM6
176080437_1453224171683995_4596671890273997524_n.png
~ Trina

PS happy AAPI month everyone! take care, and have a lucky cat!
lucky cat.jpeg