newsletter #13.5~~

trina chou

Jan 2, 2021, 2:50:32 PM1/2/21
to Asian Students’ Alliance (ASA) - GB Mailing List
Happy 2021 ASA Members!

it's been a lil bit! congrats on finishing your first semester! halfway done with the year :) I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year and taking some time to chill and relax!!
I'm forwarding an email from Annie Wang, who's recruiting participants for her senior thesis project!! See all the info below.

Take the recruitment survey here!

Sex education is a controversial subject in the United States. Sex ed curriculum often focuses on the prevention of teen pregnancy and STI transmission, lacking comprehensivity and inclusivity. This study focuses on the experiences of Asian American women/gender non-binary people and how they might encounter conflicting cultural attitudes around sex/relationships between their family members, peers, American schooling contexts, and media diets. This study hopes to provide insight on needs for cultural sensitivity in sex education programs and healthcare settings by exploring Asian American sexual literacies.

My name is Annie Wang, and I am a senior at Vassar College double majoring in Education and Media Studies. I am a second-generation Chinese American woman from Omaha, NE. For my dual thesis project, I am recruiting 6-10 interviewees from a larger survey pool to talk about sex education experiences in Asian American women/gender non-binary people. Topics of discussion will include home environment/family attitudes on sex, schooling environment, sex education curriculum, media consumption, and experiences pertaining to race.

**The inclusion criteria for this study is specific to avoid sweeping generalizations about Asian American experiences.**

To be eligible to participate in this study, you must:

  1. Be college age (18-22 years old)

  2. Be of East Asian descent (Chinese, Japanese, or Korean; multiethnic/multiracial responses welcome if meeting the other criteria)

  3. Identify as female/gender non-binary (this study will be accepting responses from all genders except cisgender men)

  4. Be 1.5 or second-generation (you grew up in a household with at least one immigrant parent)

  5. Have received some sort of sex education in an American school context

If you meet these qualifications and are interested in participating in this study, please take the initial survey here. The survey should take no more than 10-15 minutes to complete and will ask for basic information on your demographics and sex education background. You will have the option to provide an email address at the conclusion of the survey to participate in the interview. If selected as an interviewee, I will reach out to the provided email address in a couple of weeks to set up a 60-90 minute conversation on Zoom.

If you have contacts who may be interested in participating in this study, feel free to forward this email to them. Please be aware that participant information will be kept strictly confidential and pseudonyms will be used in the final paper write up. Interviewees will be compensated with a small art piece that I will ship to them.

That's it for now! Can't wait to see everyone in a month and a half!!

~ Trina :3c

New year cat meme.jpeg