newsletter#9.0~~

trina chou

Nov 2, 2020, 1:12:20 PM11/2/20
to Asian Students’ Alliance (ASA) - GB Mailing List
hello hello hello ASA friends!

hope you had a fantastic Halloweekend! so much programming, food, and fun treats happened over the past 3 days for those of us on-campus. for those of you remote, we hope you enjoyed a fun Halloween full of costumes and trick-or-treating! we've officially entered turkey season now, with only 3 weeks of being on campus left!

😆Just a reminder of what's happening with ASA this week:

1. 📣(unofficial) GB #9 will be DROP BY IF YOU NEED TO! Especially with it being Community Cares Day as well as Election Day, we have decided that this week's GB will be a lil bit more casual. It'll be an open space for anyone to come and talk, relax, play games, or find whatever else you need. Remember to take a break and practice some self-care, and if that self-care means coming and hanging with us at GB tomorrow then come!

2. 🍬we will still be sending CANDY GRAMS this week! if you'd like to place an order, please fill out this form by this wednesday (11/4) in order to send your friends some candy and some warmth+love! you get 3 messages for free, and it'll be an additional $1 for each friend after that

😯And some things to look out for (warning there are MANY things! all of the attached flyers for these events are of course at the bottom if you don't feel like reading any of this):
  • 󾓥Careers in Japan: a panel with alumni hosted by Japanese Association for Students (JAS) in collaboration with ASA, CDO, OISS, and the Japanese and Asian Studies Departments
    • Are you considering living, studying, working, or traveling to Japan one day? Curious what Japanese majors go on to do? Join our alumnae/i night online on Friday, November 6th at 8pm EST (9am JST). This panel will feature four young alumnae/i that are currently working or studying in Japan in advance of the Boston Career Forum. The event is designed to showcase the variety of careers one can pursue in Japan as well as what it is like to live and work in Japan. As always, students are welcome to come a little late or depart a little early depending on their schedule. Advance registration on Zoom is required to get the Zoom URL for the event.
    • Confirmed alumnae/i include:
      • Risa Endo ('19) - Sales Executive, Nitori Holdings Co. Ltd.
      • Kohei Joshi ('18) - Product Planner, Nissan Motor Corporation
      • Hayley Rothman ('16) - Coordinator for International Relations, Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (JET)
      • Colin Scott Peros ('18) - Researcher, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
  • 🌰a message from KSA!
    • Pepero Day (11/11, next Wednesday) is just around the corner! Please fill out the order form if you would like to purchase yummy chocolate covered sticks. Flavors include original ($1/pack), white cookie ($1.50) and almond ($1.50). If you or anyone you know has a sweet tooth and would appreciate this delicious snack, this is your chance! The deadline to order is 11/4 (aka this Wednesday). You can pick-up your order on 11/11 at Rocky 300 from 7:30 to 8:30pm where our first in-person GB will be taking place!
  • 📕VASAM's event on November 9th (next monday) from 6-7pm
    • The Vassar Asian American Studies Working Group (VASAM) invites author K-Ming Chang, National Book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree, to talk about her debut novel Bestiary, a queer, transnational fairy tale about the myths and buried secrets of a Taiwanese American family. Here is the Zoom link: https://vassar.zoom.us/j/94113867290. Read more about Chang here: https://www.kmingchang.com/about
  • 🚹a reminder about the research study by Nina Shen about the experiences of racial minority men who faced sexual violence:
    • The Primary Investigator for this study is Usha Tummala-Narra, Ph.D. (tumm...@bc.edu(617) 552-4491).The primary objective of the study is to understand racial minority men’s experiences of sexual violence, and how these experiences may intersect with other challenges such as racism and discrimination. This study involves a brief survey on the participant's background, and a phone/Zoom interview lasting approximately 1 hour. Participants will receive a $20 Amazon gift card in appreciation of their time and effort.
    anyways that's all for the week! hope everyone had the chance to enjoy the snow as we move into this cold weather brrrrrrrr, and also switched their clocks for daylight savings (hopefully you didn't miss any classes today because of that) have a picture of me looking for the warm weather to come back!
    ~ Trina 😺

    standing cat.jpg

    careers in japan alumnae_i panel (1) (1).pdf
    KSA Pepero Day.jpg
    Mythos-and-Lineage.pdf
    Male SV Flyer_7_28_2020.pdf