ASA ELECTIONS 2021 INFO: the start of something new :)

Cecilia Villasenor

Apr 18, 2021, 9:33:43 PM4/18/21
to vassar...@googlegroups.com
hello hello hello! it's me, your current asa president, ceci! it's been a while since i've sent out a fun email :) today we're gonna be talking electionssss woo! time for me to fully transform into a grandma and retire :'))))

i wanted to send this email to encourage y'all to run for next year's executive board (eb) as well as inform everyone about the elections process. even if you're not currently planning to run, i highly suggest reading through this email, because the structure of asa eb affects all community members!! so, without further ado:

what's the timeline?
  • april 18: nominations form & elections email sent out
  • april 19: eb hotseat! (during gb)
  • april 23, 11:59 pm edt: nominations form closes
  • april 24, 11:59 pm edt: nominees must confirm candidacy
  • april 25, 12:00 pm edt: nominees send in short blurb
  • april 25, newsletter: candidate blurbs sent out
  • may 3: live speeches/q&a (during gb), elections form opens!
  • may 7, 11:59 pm edt: elections form closes
as trina mentioned in the newsletter, this week's gb is an opportunity to learn more about being on eb, what the elections process is like, why you should definitely run ;)) etc. we'll send out more information about elections once nominations close, but hopefully this call will help demystify the process, clear up any concerns, and help you decide whether or not you want to run!

should i go to tomorrow's gb even if i'm not interested in running?
100% yes!! you never know; you might change your mind! when i was a first year, i thought that maybe if i paid my dues, maybe by senior year i could be a really small part on asa's exec. and look at me now :) but! even if you are 100% sure you don't want to run, i think tomorrow's gb will still be a valuable experience! eb makes a lot of decisions behind-the-scenes on how to run gbs, events, etc.—basically things that impact all of asa's members! so you can get a better understanding of how we operate, and how that affects YOU!

why should i run for eb?
being a part of asa eb has been such a fulfilling experience these past two years. asa has helped me meet my friends, discover vassar's asian and asian american community, and understand myself and my identity more. it definitely can be a lot of work, but it's been so rewarding to give back to the community that has already given me so much and hopefully impact it for the better! i would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone and everyone :)

who can run?
anyone!!!!!!!!!!! with a few caveats teehee. you must have been to at least 4 gbs and/or asc meetings and/or asa events!! given that not everyone is on campus/in the same timezone, we'll allow exceptions on a case-by-case basis, so if you're unsure whether you are eligible, we encourage you to nominate yourself anyway!!! all class years are welcome (i am the only junior on exec so class of 2023.... ahem..) and you do not need to have been on an eb or even particularly involved with asa!!

:0 amazing sounds good how do i nominate myself/my friend?

so!! i hope to see y'all tomorrow at gb!! we'll be recording it so if you can't make it, you can still access the information :) i'm also putting links to a folder with some short blurbs about each position and the asa constitution. aaaand yeah that's all from me!! please please please do not hesitate to email or message me (or even slide into my dms!) if you have any questions. i love asa and asa eb, and i'm happy to share the love ❤
oie_0lmVm6fOXfvL.jpg

love,
ceci 😘