Fwd: Southern Michigan Permaculture Mixer III RSVP

Michael Hoag

Sep 8, 2015, 8:59:58 PM9/8/15
to vankal-pe...@googlegroups.com

If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out in Google Forms.

Southern Michigan Permaculture Mixer III RSVP

3rd times a charm.

The SoMi Perma-mixer is the place for Permies to connect, share labor, and break-bread at permaculture sites and projects throughout southern Michigan: fun, inspiration, information, entertainment, and good food. All Permaculture, all the time.

This third mixer will be held at the Gibbs House Permaculture site on Western Michigan University's campus in Kalamazoo, which features a market garden, hoop-houses, hugelkulture beds, a young food forest and more!

Permaculture legend Peter Bane, long-time publisher of Permaculture Activist Magazine will be giving a Keynote and there will be many other opportunities for discussion and inspiration. Peter will also be joining us on Sunday the 27th for a special "companion class." See below for more information.

More information is available on the website: https://somipermamixer.wordpress.com/

and on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Michigan-somi-PermaMixer/824847560868667

REGISTRATION REQUIRED. Due to parking and site constraints, space for this event will be limited. So register now to reserve your spot!

We look forward to seeing you there!

--------------------------

SCHEDULE: More details TBA

8:00 AM: Site Opens, Coffee.

9:00 AM: Commencement, introductions and site tours.

11:00 AM: KEYNOTE: PETER BANE.
Peter Bane is the author of The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country (www.permaculturehandbook.com), and the long-time publisher of Permaculture Activist magazine (www.permacultureactivist.net). He has built a resilient homestead on 2/3 acre in Bloomington, Indiana over the past decade, and is now creating a 10-acre homestead in West Michigan. He serves on the board of the Permaculture Institute of North America (www.pina.in)

12:30 - 1:30 Potluck Lunch, see registration below.

2:00 PM: Workshop and Instructions: Educational work event, "Permablitz."

2:30 PM: Work Event

4:00 PM: Short presentations/discussions

5:00 Formal end, poster break-down, etc.

OPTIONAL EVENING ACTIVITIES:

6:00 Dinner: Provided by "the Campus Beet," suggested donation $5.

7:00: evening activities, music, fire, discussion.

8:00 PM: Screening, "Inhabit" a film about Permaculture.

Dinner:

A dinner featuring local produce will be provided by the Campus Beet. Suggested donation $5. Details TBD.

Companion Class: Garden Farming, Designing the Permaculture Homestead
Sunday September 27th, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (vegan lunch provided.)
Registration required, scholarships and group rates available

"Long-term economic contraction is well advanced, and Michiganders are in the forefront of adaptation to it, but permaculture brings a powerful lens to developing resilient home economies that can enhance the well-being of people on every rung of the economic ladder. How can we create economic value when money is scarce, build natural and social capital for long-term prosperity, and create and occupy new niches in the emerging subsistence economy? We will look at the patterns, structures, systems, and practices that promote comfort and security for the home and homestead. This workshop, appropriate for rural, suburban, or urban dwellers, will cover the role of food, water, shelter, energy, and exchange in providing support for the family table. In doing so, we will touch on gardens, food storage, home work spaces, building rehab, and a host of technical approaches to water, waste, and energy. We will also examine the role of support networks in creating autonomous spaces amidst the decay of empire. We will undertake design exercises to strengthen our capacity to create resilient homesteads and to weave our own social and economic safety nets."

* Required