Round-the-Island

Sam Wheeler

Jun 23, 2021, 2:57:05 PM6/23/21
to San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
V15 Racers,

We are less than a week from the annual Round-the-Island Race, held in memory of Jeff Knowles, on Tuesday June 29th.  If you haven't signed up yet you can do that here: http://vanguard15.org/schedule/1234

This is a very casual race.  This email will serve as the NOR and Sailing Instructions.

The first warning will be 6:30, for a downwind or reaching start from the cove.  Course is clockwise around the island.  Finish is first to the dock, self-scored.  Racers are expected to resolve any disputes about finish order among themselves.

Bring a handheld VHF radio if you have one.  If you have extras, please bring those too if you'd be willing to let others borrow them for the race.

Contact v15.ch...@gmail.com if you'd like to reserve one of the fleet's charter boats.

If you have access to a powerboat we could use as a chase boat, please let me know.  We have one lined up (thanks, Michael!) but more would be good.

On that note: Chase boats are not a guarantee of safety.  Sailing outside the cove introduces higher risks.  You are responsible for assessing your skill level and the fitness of your boat, and all sailors compete at their own risk.

This event counts towards the Founders Cup.  The other events for that series are High Sierra, Fall Champs (an end-of-season event at Tomales Bay, date TBD), and a possible weekend event at Bay View Boat Club if we manage to schedule that this year.  Scoring for the Founders Cup is similar to our Thursday high-point system, but since people often sail with different skipper/crew pairs for different events, sailors are scored individually.

Sam
Fleet Captain

Sam Wheeler

Jun 28, 2021, 12:37:56 PM6/28/21
to San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
One more reminder that the Round-the-Island race is tomorrow.  If you haven't yet, please sign up!

We are also looking for social chair volunteers to bring food and drinks.  You can sign up on the Tuesday social chair spreadsheet here.  As a little extra incentive, due to the high turnout and short notice, we can count this as worth two nights of regular team racing social chairing.

Sam
Fleet Captain

Claire Pratt

Jun 28, 2021, 12:48:25 PM6/28/21
to Sam Wheeler, San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
I have some snacks in case anyone wants to handle grillables.

Sent from my iPhone

Sam Wheeler

Jun 28, 2021, 6:00:15 PM6/28/21
to Claire Pratt, San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
Thanks Claire for snacks, and Michael for signing up for beer!

For planning purposes, I'm currently expecting 17 boats (a couple haven't signed up yet but mentioned they're planning to) and four people on chase boats, so we're looking at almost 40 people.  As Kristin pointed out, if multiple people wanted to split responsibility for bringing stuff that might make sense given the numbers.  Feel free to volunteer for anything you're willing to take on.

Sam

Neha Bazaj

Jun 28, 2021, 6:05:50 PM6/28/21
to Sam Wheeler, Claire Pratt, San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
I can bring sausages and buns and cheese! Do we have condiments already?

Sam Wheeler

Jul 1, 2021, 12:25:26 AM7/1/21
to San Francisco Vanguard 15 Fleet
Congratulations to all sixteen boats that entered yesterday's Round-the-Island Race in memory of Jeff Knowles - despite the relatively light air, everyone finished!

Particular congrats to the top three finishers:
1st - Cole & Yuri
2nd - Steve & Claire
3rd - Kristin & Lizzie
Full results are currently available on the Founder's Cup scoring sheet at bit.ly/founders-cup-2021, and I'll add them to the event page on the fleet site at some point when I have a little more time.

Huge thank you to everyone who came out to make this a successful event, and in particular our on-the-water support team of Ian, Lloyd, Wes, Edgar, Amelia, and Drew, and also to Michael Rivlin and TISC for setting us up with support boats.

Some photos from the event are up at bit.ly/round-the-island-2021.  Please add more if you took any!

Last but not least, Latitude 38 expressed interest in running a write-up and some photos from this one.  If anyone would be interested in writing more of a recap and maybe a few words about why we do this and what Jeff means to our fleet, I'm sure they'd really appreciate it.

Sam
Fleet Captain

image.png
image.png
(photos by Edgar and Danielle)

Kristin Altreuter

Jun 18, 2022, 1:21:35 PM6/18/22
to SF_V15_Fleet
The round-the-island race is this coming Tuesday! See below for last year’s summary to know what to expect. The direction of the race (clockwise or counter) will be announced day of. We have one chase boat organized and would love a second, if anyone would like to volunteer. Please sign up on the website if you are planning to attend.

Thank you Sam R and Elena for volunteering to social chair! If the headcount gets high, feel free to recruit extra hands or we can have it count as double credit.

Sam Wheeler

Jun 21, 2022, 5:12:45 PM6/21/22
to SF_V15_Fleet
Tonight is the annual Round-the-Island Race, held in memory of Jeff Knowles.  If you haven't signed up yet you can do that here: http://vanguard15.org/schedule/1300

This is a very casual race.  This email will serve as the NOR and Sailing Instructions.

I'm seeing surprisingly optimistic wind forecasts despite the heat, but it is possible the wind will die.  Bring water.  It may be hot and it may take some time to get boats towed in if it really shuts off.  Bring a long bowline, and extras to share if you've got spare line.

The first warning will be 6:30, for a downwind or reaching start from the cove.  Course is clockwise around the island (but may be modified pre-start to counterclockwise if conditions warrant).  Finish is first to the dock, self-scored.  Racers are expected to resolve any disputes about finish order among themselves.

Bring a handheld VHF radio if you have one.  If you have extras, please bring those too if you'd be willing to let others borrow them for the race.  We will be on channel 71 unless otherwise specified before the start.

Thank you to Ian for serving as PRO, the Rivlins for providing Panthera, Mark for serving as a second chase boat in his Sabre, and Sam R. and Elena for volunteering as social chairs.

On that note: Chase boats are not a guarantee of safety.  Sailing outside the cove introduces higher risks.  You are responsible for assessing your skill level and the fitness of your boat, and all sailors compete at their own risk.

This event counts towards the Founders Cup, which also includes various weekend regattas.  Scoring for the Founders Cup is similar to our Thursday high-point system, but since people often sail with different skipper/crew pairs for different events, sailors are scored individually.

Sam
Fleet Captain

Christopher Schreiber

Jun 22, 2022, 3:42:54 PM6/22/22
to Sam Wheeler, SF_V15_Fleet
HI All,

Just wanted to send a quick note, I tested positive for COVID this morning. I tested negative yesterday prior to the regatta, but wasn’t feeling great this morning so took a second test which came back positive.

I think the risk is low since we were outside and I don’t think I was shedding yesterday, but wanted to give everyone a heads up so you can make an informed decision on taking a test, being in an office, etc.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone!

Bets,
Chris