LessWrong Sequences Reading Groups: January 8th and January 10th

Evan

Jan 1, 2015, 7:50:47 PM1/1/15
to vancouver-r...@googlegroups.com
Two different meetings are planned for the reading of two different sequences from LessWrong. They're next week. Respond if you think you might come, so we can have an estimate for attendance, how many seats we'll need, etc.

Reading Group: Introduction to Game Theory
Linkhttp://lesswrong.com/lw/dbe/introduction_to_game_theory_sequence_guide/
Author: Yvain
Date: Saturday, January 10th
Time: 1400 hours, i.e. 2:00 p.m.
Location: Kitsalino Community Centre (2690 Larch Street, Vancouver)

This sequence is an executive summary and review written by Scott Alexander of a textbook on game theory called The Art of Strategy. These summaries were written as intended for the LessWrong readership. Eric and Dee will be in attendance, and as members at the community centre, can access a boardroom there. If you get there before they do, just wait in the lobby, as we'll be there shortly.

Reading Group: The Science of Winning At Life
Linkhttp://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_Science_of_Winning_at_Life
Author: lukeprog
Date: Thursday, January 8th
Time: 1830, i.e., 6:30 p.m.
Location: SFU Rotunda

This is out at SFU, so if you live far out on the east side of Vancouver, or in Burnaby, and can't make it out to meetups much, try making it out to this one. It's also on a weekday evening, which might work if you're not usually available on weekends. This is sequence of essays Luke Muehlhauser wrote about insights for personal effectiveness and success, as extracted from scientific findings and research literature. This includes how to improve personal productivity, interpersonal communication, and relationship success.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you're reading this today (Thursday), then, starting today, read one post each day, for whatever sequence you want to discuss with us. That way, you'll only have to read one post per day, and you'll be finished by the time we meet to review them. It's not a big deal if you don't have the time to read all of them, as we'd be happy to have you show up regardless. If you can't fully read the posts, you can help yourself know what we're talking about by skimming them.

John Salvatier

Jan 2, 2015, 1:48:19 AM1/2/15
to vancouver-r...@googlegroups.com
Cool idea Evan! Have you guys done this before?

I wonder if the Seattle EA group could do something similar.

--

---

Andrew McKnight

Jan 2, 2015, 12:46:49 PM1/2/15
to vancouver-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be attending both. @John Seattle EAs could go over this intro sequence, or a subset of it, though it's probably too basic for your core group.: http://www.effective-altruism.com/ea/6x/introduction_to_effective_altruism/

John Salvatier

Jan 2, 2015, 1:13:48 PM1/2/15
to vancouver-r...@googlegroups.com
I actually had in mind going over the LW Sequences, there's several people who are interested but haven't read them.