Susceptibility

atwork...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2024, 1:21:13 PM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to Vampire Users
Hi Vampire users,

I've got several questions around susceptibility. It defines how much it will become magnetized in an applied magnetic field. I don't understand then how can I get a peak in the susceptibility curve around Curie temperature meaning that it is more likely to magnetize at that point. But at the same time, the normalized magnetization curve (computed with curie-temperature simulation) keeps increasing after that point ?

Also the output is set to be in 1/T because the magnetization is normalized ? Can someone explain that to me ?
Also can I get a dimensionless susceptibility by multiplying the whole output by the saturation induction mu0*M at 0K ?

Thanks in advance,

Susceptibility.png
Magnetisation.png

Richard Evans

Jul 12, 2024, 6:31:34 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to atwork...@gmail.com, Vampire Users
The susceptibility in VAMPIRE is usually for a single domain state, so very hard to magnetise more at low temperatures. At high temperatures external fields have a strong effect, leading to a peak. So, it is somewhat different to experimental susceptibility where there are domains, and in general it’s not a useful measure as it is both field and rate dependent. In VAMPIRE it comes from the statistical mechanics approach, and so is mainly used to determine the Curie point. For a more related quantity to experiment you could do simulations with increasing field and see how a particular sample responds, in much the same way as experiment, eg for an array of particles or a thin film.

Best,

Richard

<Susceptibility.png><Magnetisation.png>