VN evolving

Michael _P

Mar 5, 2011, 5:31:03 AM3/5/11
to Value Networks
Hello all

In the most of cases where I've seen VNA, it worked on de facto but
hidden network: VNA had re- or discovered the value network and
allowed to use it for the different purposes.

I'd like to solicit your opinion on opposite process where VN is
evolving, growing and expanding consciously. An example of such
process (which may be not really Value network) is a spread of rumor:
one or a few seeds start a wave of information spreading highlighting
only those participants who are interested (i.e. the rumor does not
spread from the people who are informed but not interested in the
subject).

I guess such self-evolving networks are modelled in mathematics and
(more likely than not) known in the social science. Please, advice the
models and theories with this regard.

Thank you in advance,
- Michael Poulin

David Meggitt

Mar 7, 2011, 8:04:56 AM3/7/11
to Value Networks
Michael, good question....

Some thoughts are:
1) You can use value network approach (VNA) to co-evolve from nothing
a business ecosystem with overall purpose see for example
http://tinyurl.com/cs9dtq

2) In general, where two or more are involved in ANY form of activity,
use VNA to help discover what is really wanted and can be achieved by
reciprocal action.
If you are thinking of how individuals / groups can coalesce and
change country governance, use VNA to create a vision for the future
which the power of the people could,. thriough other means, bring
about.

3) Re your first para, VNA incorporates both de jure (controlled
access) and de facto ( shared access) modes. The items in brackets
have been borrowed from Prof Charles Ehin's terminology.

- David

Charles Ehin

Mar 7, 2011, 1:48:57 PM3/7/11
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Well said, David!
Cahrlie

Verna Allee

Mar 7, 2011, 10:57:02 AM3/7/11
to Value Networks
Hello Michael, the situation you describe is a classic "problem" in
social network analysis. SNA is often used to track the spread of
information, diseases and the like. However, the subjective measure of
"level of interest" is harder to get at. It is fairly easy to get data
on people who have received a message (twitter followers, email
recipients and the like) but determining their level of interest in
the message is a bit more difficult. One could say if they pass the
information along then they have some level of interest and those who
pass it to the most people have more interest, although that may not
be true. It takes more effort to send someone a personal email or
twitter than it does to post it for several hundred followers.

In marketing people are using SNA quite a lot to try to identify
influencers in social networks. Then of course they target messages to
the influencers quite deliberately. You can find a lot of use cases
like this if you search social CRM.

The added value of VNA would be where people are also identified with
their value contributing roles (not just the structural roles of SNA).
If that additional information is available then you could indeed
track the evolution of the social or informational network to an
action based network.

Verna

Matt Moore

Mar 7, 2011, 3:54:07 PM3/7/11
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
"In marketing people are using SNA quite a lot to try to identify
influencers in social networks. Then of course they target messages to the influencers quite deliberately. You can find a lot of use cases
like this if you search social CRM."

And then you have researchers like Duncan Watts trying to hammer the traditional "influencer" model into the ground

Laurence Lock Lee

Mar 7, 2011, 5:50:04 PM3/7/11
to Value Networks
Discovering the intangibles like level of interest and why is
something VNA does but at least in my use it requires face to face
interaction to tease out what it really is. Therefore keeping this up
to date in an evolutionary scenario could be quite challenging. I have
a telescope at home where you can look through a small sighting scope
to get to the general area you want to look at and then look through
the big scope to see the detail that you are interested in. To me this
is like SNA and VNA. The advantage of SNA is that you can quickly get
a sense of the 'qualified' picture....by qualified we have to make
inferences like the forwarded message etc... But once you have the
bigger picture you can drill down into the areas of potential interest
with VNA.

I have been playing around with mapping Yammer conversations
http://www.optimice.com.au/InnovationwithYammer.php ....I suspect a
next step would to invite some of the key players into a VNA session.

Joe Wharton

Mar 8, 2011, 12:31:40 AM3/8/11
to value-n...@googlegroups.com