Bringing high performance to business operations

1 view

David Meggitt

Jul 28, 2010, 4:21:09 AM7/28/10
to Value Networks
It has long been a theme within this group that the value network view
enables the combination of formal process and informal networks. For
example, Charles Ehin would call it the "sweet spot".
Look here http://valuenetworks.com/public/blog/207591 for the latest
announcement from a/the key player in the value networks arena. It
contains a very pertinent 2x2 matrix putting BPM, social networks,
supply chains, and collaboration in a context - Structure (Processes)
and Enterprise Focus.

Where does Lean Management fit in?

David

Charles Ehin

Jul 28, 2010, 12:59:56 PM7/28/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads-up, David!
Charlie

Mary Adams

Jul 29, 2010, 6:33:58 AM7/29/10
to Value Networks
David - Two answers to your question about Lean. First, making the
connection outside the organization. One of my favorite books ever is
Lean Solutions where Womack and Jones apply lean thinking to services,
especially customer-facing solutions which they propose as one of the
next frontiers for performance. Value Networks make it easy for us to
connect customers and other external stakeholders into the analysis of
internal processes. Second answer is that Value Networks help empower
those in the network to continuously improve their own work processes.
Continuous improvement is at the heart of Lean.

David Meggitt

Jul 29, 2010, 6:45:07 AM7/29/10
to Value Networks
IMHO, Charlie, whilst developments in analytical capability are very
significant in predicting likely outcomes quantitatively using the
above VNA modelling, the other challenge is to enable participants to
sense intuitively what is really going on and empower them to
*improve* it. This is a leadership and management task, and one that
has also been engaging me for a while as well. See for example:
http://tinyurl.com/y8cbd6p

Incidentally, the term "business ecosystem" is now gaining ground in
the UK. :Let's see how the big consultancies corrupt this one (to be
contentious!)
I was dismayed to find a very large Asian group coining the term
"value network" to cover a network of supply chains. This perpetuates
19th century management principles with no real benefit for clients.

We are trying to re-educate Govt.accordingly!

David

On Jul 28, 5:59 pm, "Charles Ehin" <kal...@msn.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads-up, David!
> Charlie

David Meggitt

Jul 29, 2010, 7:24:12 AM7/29/10
to Value Networks
Mary, thank you for this concise response. An extract from Lean
Solutions is here .. http://tinyurl.com/329yuen

In struggling with the mind set behind Lean, I've tried to accommodate
it as "people-friendly" as opposed to "process-driven."
See here http://tinyurl.com/yeu29xj

I talked to Dan Jones after a presentation in the UK a couple of years
ago and asked him how one determines "What to do, strategically." He
pondered and referred me to "Getting the Right Things Done" by Pascal
Dennis.
This seems a mish mash of techniques, useful, but still a mish mash.
The first is "Getting True North."
For this, I would suggest, instead, using a value network to discover
the business model.
Subsequently, one can then drill down / expand and incorporate "value
streams" used in Lean with informal networks (seemingly ignored in
Lean) and connect up with other disciplines as needed.
The simplicity of VNA and its scalability in this way is powerful.

"Lean" is also a word the Lean movement appears unhappy with. This is
not surprising. It has its own battles to win.
Again, regrettably, Govt. is being persuaded that this is THE solution
to their silo - etc issues.

Overall, your second answer could well summarise things perfectly
relative to Lean.... thank you for sharing.

"Value Networks help empower those in the network to continuously
improve their own work processes.
Continuous improvement is at the heart of Lean." Mary Adams.

Thoughts from others?

David

Charles Ehin

Jul 29, 2010, 5:02:28 PM7/29/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com
David, I fully agree with you!
Charlie
To post to this group, send email to value-n...@googlegroups.com.

Khaled Islaih

Jul 31, 2010, 1:19:36 AM7/31/10
to value-n...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

- I  like your imaginative / intuitive  reasoning. It  inspires me to transcend the boundaries of reason and logic. You help me see the benifits of  transrational / transcultural advantages.  I recently learned that our crisis (at various scales and within various domains, including business are crisis of imagination) . Indeed, imagination allows us to discover and live / work  within worlds of inbetweenness (move beyond binary thinking). For more info, check this links:

http://innerself.com/html/miscellaneous/general/the-crisis-of-imagination.html

http://zunia.org/post/easa2010-crisis-and-imagination-call-for-papers/

- As for the notion of business ecosystem, I recently came across the rhizome metaphor and its implications in cultures, humanities and organizations.  The use of rhizome metaphor has great implication. It helps us understand knowledge and ideas from a truly natural (ecological) point of view. It will  help us bridge the ecological divide between humanity and the nature. The divide was created by the industrial age. The industrial worldview made us see the world as fragmented entities that must be owned, consumed, used, accumulated..etc. In contrast, the emerging ecological civilization is changing these perceptions radically. The ecological worldview is helping conscious people see the world as dynamic interactions, connections, continuums..etc. (see socioeconomic processes as universal processes with no local boundaries). A growing number of people around the world now see nature as  a source of learning, prosperity creativity and innovation (not consumption and destructive growth). They are very concerned about ecological future on earth. for more info about rhizome, check this entry

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome_(philosophy)

- I think the growing ecological /rhizomatic turn combined with the new communication paradigm are going to change the exisitng intellectual order (new signifying and representation systems). The new systems will be dominated by imagination . It will facilitate the creation of a new imagination based civilization. However, the challenge is to have moral imaginative thinkers..!

best,

Khaled