Fw: [cwops] FD musings

David Tanks

Jun 24, 2024, 7:17:43 PM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to valleyhams

Some amusing things that happened over the FD weekend; however, I take exception to the statement of giving out state names phonetically is not necessary. If there is QRM or other, then it may be mis-copied.

David AD4TJ
Jun 24, 2024, 7:53:31 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to David Tanks, valleyhams
In a phone contest, they will hear “Victor Alpha… Virginia”from me every time! I only want to say it once and I do the majority of the time.

Butch N5SMQ VA… Virginia!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 24, 2024, at 7:17 PM, 'David Tanks' via Valley Hams <valle...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Please do not send jokes and junk e-mail on this list - Let's use it for our various hobbies, public service, communications and any good useful information for our hobbies and Events.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Valley Hams" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/valleyhams/1030952868.8295402.1719271059281%40mail.yahoo.com.

Ray Albers

Jun 24, 2024, 8:12:04 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to David Tanks, valleyhams
David,

I sort of agree with you, not so much about QRM but rather to prevent errors - prime example:  “Three Alpha Maine.”  And Maine gets into the receiving station’s log as MA[ine] rather than ME

73 de K2HYD

Baldwin Corey

Jun 26, 2024, 8:58:51 AM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Valley Hams
I gave the ITU phonetic of my section and state twice, "3 Alpha Victor Alpha" on phone. It is brief enough and rarely questioned. Even during QRM, if they miss part of my phonetic on the first announce they will get the part missed on the second announce.

Speaking of using ITU phonetics. I really wish everyone would use them instead of the random words they sometimes choose. We had a guy on phone come back with a callsign suffix of "KFT" and he used "Kentucky Fried Turkey". I need to start a list of substitute words folks use. It could be entertaining.

73,

Corey - KO4CTF