cwops: FD musings

1 view

David Tanks

Jun 24, 2024, 8:52:27 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to valleyhams

Ok, this is actually the link I wanted to send to the group. It is the actual info about Field Day in 1934.

David AD4TJ

On Jun 23, 2024, at 9:28 PM, Harv K2PI <gadge...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have to admit to being in the minority of Hams who doesn't really enjoy Field Day.  Ever since my first, with the Englewood, NJ ARA back in 1977 with the famous Dave Popkin, W2CC, I've been unable to reconcile the reality with the story behind it.  I think I would be more comfortable if we dropped the "Emergency Preparedness" fiction and just accepted that it is a chance to go out in a field somewhere and operate, eat, and talk to other Hams.  Also, to be honest with ourselves that it is a contest, because otherwise, why does my club and many others boast about scores and standings every year, and usually devote a meeting to it?

Instead, we have clubs, like my local club and many others (one in MD was sending more than 30A!) building up virtual "Burning Man" sites which don't strike me as what we'd be able to do out of the gate in a real disaster.  Could we bring multiple towers and RV's to a site?  It's hard to believe it would be that easy.  I lived and worked overseas for 20 years in some very difficult places in Africa and South East Asia, and when things went bad, as they did in many of these developing nations, mobility was extremely limited, and infrastructure either failed or was outright shut off.  You made do with what you had, and I had the resources of an Embassy behind me, and that sometimes wasn't enough.  Oh, and don't forget, in this imaginary scenario, you would be leaving everyone you love at the mercies of whatever event is ongoing to go do this.  They would not be bringing the potato salad at lunch time.  That's a very tough choice to make.

I recommended a few years ago to our local club that we do a true field expedient field day.  Pack and plan nothing in advance.  Day of, give everyone 1 hour to grab essentials and get to a site kept secret until that moment.  Get on the air with what we had ready at hand, and if we ended up with no PL-259 to N adapters, make do on site.  I'm sure no one will be surprised that it was an unpopular idea, even with the surety that most would cheat and set up their go-bags in advance :)

Most love FD, and for them, I say enjoy!   I should not have had to explain so much, but not loving FD is one of the last true Ham Radio heresy's you'll get beat up for (the other being that the youth are our future).
--
73
Harv

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64806) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic| New Topic

_._,_._,_