Field Day 1997

Kay T FouruWoah

Jun 19, 2024, 3:14:18 PM (11 days ago) Jun 19
to valle...@googlegroups.com

This was 1997.  The time stamp on the picture looks like 1991, but I didn’t get my ham license until November 1994. Besides, if you look up the date, it was a Sunday.

 And I do so remember this early Sunday morning picture, and the story around it. Sometime around midnight the last remaining Extra Class told me he was going home, and I was in charge of the rowdy teenagers who were going to play radio all night. Whee. We were at a station next to the woods, trying to make contacts, when this piercing, screaming noise came from the woods. And it got fainter and fainter (doppler effect), until it was gone. We almost had to change clothes after that.  We had seen foxes off in the woods, and surmised a fox had caught a rabbit dinner – but the screaming still woke us up completely. And no, we did NOT go out into the woods to investigate.

 But the contacts … we were pulling in contacts at a reasonable pace.  Nothing dramatic, but steady and quite manageable. The boys went to bed, and I stayed with the radio. Just as the sky started to lighten, the bands began to awaken. I started pulling in contacts like fly fishing: put out the call, pull in a contact – put out the call, pull in a contact - over and over. Michael Rein ka4jjd/sk showed up with the sun, and came to log for me. Again and again we were fly fishing for contacts, and pulling them in with every call. It was magical.

 After taking a break, however, I returned to the radio beside the woods to make more contacts if possible. THAT is when Ernie (can’t remember his call right off - extra from Earlysville, very active in the club and on the air, now a sk) came over to take my picture. I was NOT happy about that. I had been up ALL night, and was exhausted, and the photo proves it. But oh, did we have fun!

 Sadly, the last time I tried operating into the wee hours, all the stations were shut down. Pre-dawn beckons, however …

 See y’all soon!

There is that word “soon” … the most imprecise thing in the world. What is soon? A few hours? A few days? Years? A hundred years? A thousand years? Ask my Father in Heaven how long a thousand years is, then talk to Me about “soon”. (Jesus: The Chosen)

Teri kt4uo

John Chevalaz

Jun 19, 2024, 8:14:53 PM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to valle...@googlegroups.com, Kay T FouruWoah
that rig look like a kenwwod 830s
rocking rig, although all of 45 lbs.
cutting edge in its day if it is that rig
solid state front, tubes finals
ahh what a great rig
also a handle , so it was somewhat portable
Carry on !

kb2loz

Please do not send jokes and junk e-mail on this list - Let's use it for our various hobbies, public service, communications and any good useful information for our hobbies and Events.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Valley Hams" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/valleyhams/7108c261-d9e3-456b-b430-00b3eb8ad3ee%40gmail.com.

Kay T FouruWoah

Jun 20, 2024, 9:29:17 AM (10 days ago) Jun 20
to John Chevalaz, valle...@googlegroups.com

John, I don't know what the rig was. Shoot, I was still really new to ham radio, and especially HF. (still lacking in HF experience - mostly antenna issues).

Frank Pyanoe

Jun 21, 2024, 8:40:17 AM (9 days ago) Jun 21
to Kay T FouruWoah, John Chevalaz, Valley Hams
Great story KT4UP! Thank you for sharing.
Regards,
Frank-KE4KCO