Address validation

Jason Durham

Jan 7, 2014, 12:23:50 PM1/7/14
to valida...@googlegroups.com
I have simple validation configured in VT to ensure the input data matches what I expect.  However, I'm to the point now where I'm going to use a 3rd party to ensure that the address actually exists.  This 3rd party does fuzzy matching (12th St versus 12th Street or St. Louis versus Saint Louis) and potentially kicks back some suggestions on how to correct it.

I understand I can use a custom validation type to ultimately call this 3rd party and I can return a struct from my custom validation method with isSuccess, failureMessage and potentially an array of address suggestions.

My question is.. I'm not sure how to write the XML for this.  This validation does not actually validate a field, but rather all of the data collectively. I've also considered doing the validation separately and simply adding the result to the validation result but I'm not quite sure if either of these two methods are better than the next.

Is there a best practice on how to handle this sort of validation?

Jason Durham

John Whish

Jan 10, 2014, 3:43:36 PM1/10/14
to valida...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

I don't think there is a best practice for this, or not one that I've seen discussed. When I've done something like this in the past, I chose to do it externally and then add the result. I did this partly as there was a financial cost to calling the 3rd party, so I did the simple validation first, checked the result object for failures, if there were none, then I called the 3rd party service for the extra validation, so costs were only incurred if the basic data they had entered passed validation.

Regards,

John