A correction

govindjsk

Apr 28, 2011, 8:32:32 AM4/28/11
to Vaklipi
On the homepage of Vaklipi, if we translate "What is x times y?" into
Hindi, it gives "x को y से गुणा करते रहो का मान छापो". There is a
grammatical mistake over here, which also changes the meaning of the
code. "x को y से गुणा करते रहो" means "keep multiplying y to x". It
should actually be "x को y से गुणा करो". But even that means "Multiply
y to x" and not "x times y".

People use the following terms while 'reading' maths in Hindi:
x+y --> "x योग y" or "x जोड़ y"
x-y --> "x घटा y"
x*(times)y --> "x गुणा y"
x/y --> "x बटा y"

Cohan Sujay Carlos

Apr 29, 2011, 8:41:41 AM4/29/11
to vak...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the corrections, Govind.

The translation system is not really complete.

The trivial translator we've implemented makes obvious errors like that ... I just haven't had the time to build a better system yet.

Thanks for the set of examples of usage of multiplication, division, etc.

like: x+y           -->  "x योग y" or "x जोड़ y"

Very valuable.

These will be incorporated shortly.

Cohan Sujay Carlos
+91-77605-80015