LXC provider spike

Fábio Rehm

Feb 25, 2013, 7:58:18 AM2/25/13
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I've been spiking on this for a while now and today I open sourced the project on GitHub: https://github.com/fgrehm/vagrant-lxc . It's not a Vagrant 1.1 provider yet but it mimics its actions (up, halt, destroy...) and uses a yaml file for configuration.

Over the week I'm going to create some issues to keep track of what has to be done for an initial release and on the weekend I'll give a shot at turning it on a Vagrant 1.1 provider.

Please keep in mind that this is a result of less than a month worth of LXC knowledge, it is a spike, the code is not clean and requires A LOT of refactoring but at least we have something that works to start with ;-)

Cheers,

Mitchell Hashimoto

Feb 25, 2013, 4:03:26 PM2/25/13
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Fabio,

This is very cool to see. :) I just wanted to let you know that true documentation for writing providers is on the way and is prioritized for this week, with a release of 1.1, the AWS plugin, and so on slated for 2/3 weeks from now. That should help you immensely in your efforts.

Best,
Mitchell

Fábio Rehm

Mar 27, 2013, 9:03:06 AM3/27/13
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick follow up on this one, I made some major progress over the last month and I've been using it successfully for developing a Ruby on Rails since I announced the spike :-)
Support for port forwarding was added yesterday and although I might be the only "heavy user" as of now, things are pretty stable down here.

If you are interested in trying it out, have a look at the github repo [1] and don't hesitate to contact me by mail or on twitter (@fgrehm) if you run into some issue.

Happy hacking!
--
Fábio Rehm