I am asked for password of ubuntu user instead of vagrant (the user I'm logged in with in GUI)

Valentin Nastasache

Apr 1, 2016, 7:25:27 AM4/1/16
to Vagrant
Hi,

I have a vagrant project, provisioned with ansible.

For ssh settings I use:
config.ssh.shell = "bash -c 'BASH_ENV=/etc/profile exec bash'"
config
.ssh.forward_agent = true
config
.ssh.forward_x11 = true

The problem is that I start the VM with GUI
vb.gui = true
have installed with ansible lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings,
https://github.com/valentin-nasta/development-environment/blob/master/playbooks/roles/desktop/tasks/main.yml#L14
but I'm asked for ubuntu's user password instead of the vagrant user.

This is the problem I'm trying to solve.

As a workaround (as I didn't know the ubuntu's user password), I logged into the vm and change it manually.
vagrant ssh
sudo passwd ubuntu
But still I would like to know the secret behind.

Here is my Vagrantfile

Kind regards,
Valentin

VirtualBox_developer-box_01.png

Valentin Nastasache

Apr 1, 2016, 9:30:17 AM4/1/16
to Vagrant

It seems the vagrant user is not added to sudoers on the official Vagrant ubuntu/trusty boxhttps://atlas.hashicorp.com/ubuntu/boxes/trusty64

The fix was to add these lines as inline shell provisioning:

# provision
config.vm.provision :shell, inline: <<-SHELL
  # Set up sudo
  echo 'vagrant ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' > /etc/sudoers.d/vagrant
  chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers.d/vagrant
  # Setup sudo to allow no-password sudo for "sudo"
  usermod -a -G sudo vagrant
SHELL

dragon788

Apr 1, 2016, 12:16:24 PM4/1/16
to Vagrant
Vagrant should be in sudoers on that box, but some of them are now provided directly by Ubuntu/Canonical. The issue is that it is prompting for the password of the user "ubuntu" not for the vagrant user's password. Its likely that your display manager hides the vagrant user or has it connected to another account that isn't the correct UID, or more likely that the graphical gksu gksudo commands don't honor passwordless sudo.

One issue I've found with many boxes is they are managing the vagrant user directly into /etc/sudoers instead of doing it the smart way as you have in putting it in /etc/sudoers.d so that it doesn't get clobbered by system updates.