future of AWS, Azure, QEMU ?

jay vyas

Mar 17, 2023, 11:59:58 AM3/17/23
to Vagrant
Hi folks !

Noticing that the vagrant-aws and azure and other similar
plugins are deprecated, and so really the only options for vagrant nowadays are virtualbox, hyperv, docker, and VMWare.

Of course, if your on a Mac though - and you want amd64 virtualization, the only game in town then is a vagrant-(aws/azure/gcp) provider (which dont exist) or else, vagrant-qemu which is graciously maintained for us by maybe one or two people it seems.(huge thanks to https://github.com/ppggff for keeping vagrant-qemu up to date) !

Anyways, so  it seems like, in a post ARM/AMD64 hybrid laptop world, supporting QEMU is the best way we can give developers platform neutral environments (especially, well, because we get these for free)...

Do people have any future ambitions around either adopting QEMU more officially, or else, adding official cloud providers for vagrant ?

Jim McGinness

Mar 17, 2023, 3:32:07 PM3/17/23
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
vagrant-qemu (as well as vagrant-libvirt) has a distinctly different target than vagrant-aws. My impression is that if the 'legacy' vagrant-aws doesn't do all you need, you'll be directed to Terraform, a similar tool that more closely matches what 'a great many people' seem to think Vagrant is for - deploying production VMs on cloud providers.

 -- jmcg

jay vyas

Mar 18, 2023, 8:43:40 AM3/18/23
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Agree they are distinct, but thinking of windows (and kubernetes centric windows development)... but they have a commonality in that for windows VMs... they really all are alternatives to virtualbox... which won't make a windows VM (x86) if running on an M1 ,,,, hence, theres a "windows development" centric angle to all of those providers, simply b/c they are able to run infrastructure that isnt coupled to the laptop a developer is using.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023, 3:32 PM Jim McGinness <jmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
vagrant-qemu (as well as vagrant-libvirt) has a distinctly different target than vagrant-aws. My impression is that if the 'legacy' vagrant-aws doesn't do all you need, you'll be directed to Terraform, a similar tool that more closely matches what 'a great many people' seem to think Vagrant is for - deploying production VMs on cloud providers.

 -- jmcg

GitHub Issues: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues
Discuss: https://discuss.hashicorp.com/c/vagrant/24
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vagrant" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/CACEPCkR5b3m9fQvCT8TCqG2iDQV%3DwHxmRx7NBpTBnuMQgiyh7g%40mail.gmail.com.