Herd Imminity - fact or fiction?

A MacDonald

May 6, 2013, 2:46:54 PM5/6/13
to vaccination-re...@googlegroups.com
Herd Immunity.

I was not going to start this new thread until I had time to gather various data, but Katie's comment quoted below, rocked me.

"In order to protect the community from epidemics of measles, the rate of vaccination of all ages needs to be around 98%."

But Katie, it was only a little while ago that you stated 95%.

What changed? Was it a typo? I have seen other reports of 88% for measles too, also 85%

It is a theory, is it not? yet you stated it was a tenant for your belief in vaccination.
Show me the science.
Andrew.

A MacDonald

May 11, 2013, 10:51:47 PM5/11/13
to vaccination-re...@googlegroups.com
Katie,
yes, that is a good explanation on someone's blog. It is a theory, and I can see why you are convinced, and hold herd immunity as a tenet of your belief in vaccination.
But rather than faithfully believing in a theory, is there scientific evidence available which supports herd immunity?

Regardless of herd immunity or not, should not we be able to freely consent to, or deny a vaccine, based on personal choice, considering factors such as the injecting of chemicals and toxins etc.? Or should one take the risk, in order to satisfy the demands of those who follow this theory? Should they be able to demand others be vaccinated against their will in order to support their faith? (sorry for the religious link, but it does remind me of certain other faiths).

We all know vaccines are linked to autism, despite cries of rebuttal. The jury has spoken on this already. And people are scared. Scared that they are being bullied into the above, against their wishes.

But back to the point. Where is the scientific proof that herd immunity is more than just a theory?
Like most theories, there seems to be a gaps in this one, and room for plenty of questions, hence my inquisitiveness as to what proof is available.
I would not be here if I had already found it.
Andrew.

 --------------------------------
Sun 12 May '13
Andrew,
here is a good explanation about how herd immunity works:
http://science-at-home.org/how-herd-immunity-works/

cheers
katie
"But rather than faithfully believing in a theory, is there scientific evidence available which supports herd immunity?"

Katie Brockie

May 12, 2013, 4:56:12 PM5/12/13
to Vaccination-Respectful Debate
"Should they be able to demand others be vaccinated against their will in order to support their faith? (sorry for the religious link, but it does remind me of certain other faiths)."

What other faiths?
Katie

Katie Brockie

May 12, 2013, 4:59:34 PM5/12/13
to Vaccination-Respectful Debate
"Like most theories, there seems to be a gaps in this one, and room for plenty of questions, hence my inquisitiveness as to what proof is available."

I am curious as to your theories about immunization. You posted earlier that immunizations contain "toxic pus". Like most theories, there seems to be gaps in that one - that's why I'm inquisitive as to what proof is available.
Likewise for the vaccination-autism link. My understanding was that that particular theory has been blown out of the water. But it seems a tenet of your faith that it has not. Show me the science.
Katie
--
ph: 03 4728585
Mob: 021 1881282

Katie Brockie

May 12, 2013, 5:02:50 PM5/12/13
to Vaccination-Respectful Debate
"Like most theories, there seems to be a gaps in this one, and room for plenty of questions, hence my inquisitiveness as to what proof is available."

I am curious as to your theories about immunization and autism. Like most theories there seems to be gaps in that one, and plenty of room for questions, hence my inquisitiveness as to what proof is available. My understanding was that that particular theory has been blown out of the water. But it seems a tenet of your faith that it has not. Show me the science.
Katie