emsrv on RedHat

Neil Morrison

Jun 23, 2024, 12:26:51 AMJun 23
to VAST Community Forum
Me again,

We would like to upgrade/switch our Envy server to use the latest v13 version but it relies on a LIBC that isn't directly available in the RedHat standard build.

The Linux distros you mention can't be used at our site and we are tied to RedHat which we have worked around in past by obtaining the relevant LIBC variant.

Unfortunately, with the security controls in place these days this is not allowed with some clearance by the security team.

Is this something the base product should consider supporting?

Regards,

Neil

Marcus Wagner

Jun 23, 2024, 8:00:58 PMJun 23
to VAST Community Forum
Neil
I admit I did not run EMSRV under Linux yet, I did under OS/2, Novell Net, AS400 and under zOS and all kinds of Windows server.
The central repository should provide its service to all sorts and versions of clients, indepentent of its OS or versions, to provide a platform for collaboration.
The need to upgrade this central component may stem indepently, e.g. from upgrading 32 to 64 bit, but usually not from upgrading a client version, like from 12 to 13.
The bookkeeping should be stable. Only a new manager.dat has to be provided, not necessarily the service process around
So I am confused of what you mean by switching Envy Server to Version 13.
I guess you have to provide a version 13 repository, manager.dat on an (existing) server providing Envy.
That does not necessarily imply to switch the version of the providing Envy service EMSRV.
I ran a EMSRV process on a (Windows) machine with unchanged version for years, controlling different manager.dat versions, which did not exist when the service was installed. I access this central place from different OS, from Windows, from different Linux Distributions).
You also said the latest version 13 depends on a LIBC which is not provided by RedHat. I interpret this as your client installation depends on LIBC.
Again, I admit I did not run EMSRV under RedHat yet. I assume that the program maintaining repositories on a server does not need an upgrade.
Regards
Marcus

Esteban A. Maringolo

Jun 27, 2024, 9:30:39 AMJun 27
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hello Neil,

What version of Red Hat are you running? The requirement for libc 2.28 or higher comes from VAST 11.0 (2022).

You can see the supported operating systems and versions, among other requirements, on our documentation page:
https://www.instantiations.com/vast-support/documentation/FAQ/#page/FAQ/va02022-1300.html

Best regards,

Esteban Maringolo

Senior Software Developer

 emari...@instantiations.com
 @emaringolo
 /emaringolo
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev

Neil Morrison

Jun 27, 2024, 8:31:07 PMJun 27
to VAST Community Forum
Cool - organisation is finally moving to latest RedHat - looking on those servers they have libc 2.28

I'll go see someone about using a new server to host the latest emsrv stuff

Thanks,

Neil