Extra window in VA Smalltalk V13 on Raspberry Pi

Louis LaBrunda

May 31, 2024, 1:29:29 PMMay 31
to VAST Community Forum
Hi All,

When I start an environment, an extra window opens that contains the same output as the terminal window used to start VA Smalltalk with:

sudo vast

Is this something new?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to get rid of it?

Lou

Mariano Martinez Peck

May 31, 2024, 1:45:30 PMMay 31
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louis,

I am not 100% sure what you are talking about. Would you mind sharing a screenshot?

You may be talking about the xterm window that is open when we launch an environment from the environments tools. Is that it?

"Is this something new?"   compared to when? Do you remember a different behavior? If so, in which release?

Regards,

Mariano Martinez Peck

VAST Team Lead

Senior Software Engineer

 mp...@instantiations.com
 @MartinezPeck
 /mariano-martinez-peck
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev

Louis LaBrunda

May 31, 2024, 3:13:34 PMMay 31
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Mariano,

A snapshot of the new window is below.

You may be talking about the xterm window that is open when we launch an environment from the environments tools. Is that it?

Could be.

"Is this something new?"

yes

compared to when?

Version 12.

Do you remember a different behavior?

The window is new.  It could be that it use to close on its own without me noticing it.  Now it stays open.

If so, in which release?

V12

Lou

NewWindow.jpg

Louis LaBrunda

May 31, 2024, 3:49:32 PMMay 31
to VAST Community Forum
Also, the "es" window that breaks into the system is now in the middle of the screen.  It is very small, which is fine if you don't have to move it.  If you do want to move it, you must stretch it so you can grab and move it.  In windows it is in the lower right hand corner (I like it there).  On the Raspberry it was in the upper left hand corner.

Lou

Richard Sargent

May 31, 2024, 4:29:42 PMMay 31
to VAST Community Forum
I can't speak for Mariano, but  see below.

On Friday, May 31, 2024 at 12:13:34 PM UTC-7 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Mariano,

A snapshot of the new window is below.

You may be talking about the xterm window that is open when we launch an environment from the environments tools. Is that it?

Could be.

"Is this something new?"

yes

I seem to recall seeing a console window when running under *nix systems.
Under Windows, you need to add -lCON to the command line to get a console window. That is *not* icon, but the lower case letter L (as on "log").

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jun 2, 2024, 9:48:22 AMJun 2
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louis,

Yes, that's the xterm window. AFAIK it's been there for years and hasn't changed recently. I don't think you can get rid of it, but there is a workaround. You may notice that in every environment directory there is a shell script called "abt". You can run it directly from the command line and it won't start xterm. Example:

cd "/home/mariano/Instantiations/VASTPlatform/13.0.0 gold"
./abt

Regards,