WebView2 support

mar...@feldtmann.online

Mar 16, 2024, 10:13:59 AMMar 16
to VAST Community Forum
Today I wanted to look at the WebView2 support in VAST and I loaded the feature and wanted to look, how it feels (by the way, I believe support for WebView2 is a very good way to migrate the host UI to a HTML based UI in a first way and then in a final step to a headless VAST with a pure HTMl based UI).

Ok, I was looking for examples ... and opened Tools/Open Example Launcher ... nothing

Other way around ... use the composition editor ... make a window and add the WebView as a control in the UI ... nothing ...

Other way around ... use WindowBuilder and look for support there ... nothing

Ok, look into source code ... there is an example class ... CwWebViewExample ...  and

CwWebViewExample new open

shows you an example.

But why is there no direct support in the various UI development tools in VAST ?

Mariano Martinez Peck

Mar 18, 2024, 12:47:43 PMMar 18
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Marten,

Thank you for your observations regarding the potential of WebView2 to facilitate the transition from thick client applications to web-based interfaces. We share your enthusiasm for this technology, which is why we have decided to invest resources into its integration within VAST.

Your suggestion to make the CwWebViewExample more accessible by including it in the Tools -> Open Example Launcher is well-received. We've recognized the importance of this enhancement and have already created a dev case "73529: CwWebViewExample should be available in CwExampleLauncher" and will include this in our next release.

Concerning its usage within the Composition Editor, we understand the need for a seamless integration process for new GUI-related features like WebView2, TableWidget, etc. These enhancements require considerable effort across various
layers of the platform, and their implementation is contingent upon the anticipated value they bring. In the 13.0.0 release, we've integrated WebView2 support at the CommonWidgets level. Looking forward, we are exploring the possibility of extending this support to the WindowsBuilder layer and to the Composition Editor/Part layer in VAST 14.0.0, based on user feedback and demand.

We did a preliminary experimentation with WebView2 and the Part but it turned out to be difficult to be used from the Composition Editor because of the context menu (right click). That is, the WebView2 common widget already has native support for when you right click so that generates conflicts and limits the usage from the Composition Editor (you are not able to use the GUI and you would need to write Smalltalk code instead). Because of this limitation, we decided not to ship the Part at this time.

Additionally, although it might not directly address your original question, I would like to recommend my talk from the last ESUG conference, which focuses on the integration and possibilities of WebView2 within VAST. You might find it helpful:

https://youtu.be/rOJwLBPZZjE?si=RVXS_xaSST_ysAdR

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  We consider the valuable input we receive from our user community as we continue to enhance the VAST Platform.

Best regards,

Mariano Martinez Peck

VAST Team Lead

Senior Software Engineer

 mp...@instantiations.com
 @MartinezPeck
 /mariano-martinez-peck
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev