libxm.so.4 can't be found

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 5, 2024, 12:23:14 PMJun 5
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Guys,

I'm have built a new version of my clock program that runs on a Raspberry Pi.  I'm using the latest Raspberry Pi OS (I forget what it is called) and VA Smalltalk V13.  When I try to run the program I get: "error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I don't find the file in the Linux/Arm runtime files (I didn't think I would).

I think it needs to be loaded into Linux but I don't know how to do it.

Lou

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jun 5, 2024, 1:10:40 PMJun 5
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louis,

Try:

sudo apt-get --assume-yes install libxm4

Regards,

Mariano Martinez Peck

VAST Team Lead

Senior Software Engineer

 mp...@instantiations.com
 @MartinezPeck
 /mariano-martinez-peck
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 5, 2024, 2:24:19 PMJun 5
to VAST Community Forum
Hey Mariano,

Thanks, that got me past that problem.  The program starts, the clock window (a popup) opens but nothing displays.  I'm working on it.

Lou

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 5, 2024, 3:24:42 PMJun 5
to VAST Community Forum
Hi,

I also forgot to:

sudo apt-get install xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-encodings xfonts-scalable xfonts-utils

Now I seem to be missing the libcrypto stuff.

Lou

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 5, 2024, 5:04:46 PMJun 5
to VAST Community Forum
I get:  OpenSSLError does not understand decrypt:key:iv:

but when I test in my development env (on a different Raspberry Pi with VA Smalltalk v13) I don't get the error.

I think I have everything needed installed on both systems and the correct values in the .ini file but who knows?

Lou

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jun 6, 2024, 8:05:28 AMJun 6
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 6, 2024, 11:01:07 AMJun 6
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Mariano,

Thanks for the help.  I have read the documentation but I still can't figure out how to install the latest OpenSSL libs.  I'm using the latest Raspberry Pi 64 bit bookworm and VA Smalltalk V13 64 bit.  I can't figure out what:

sudo apt-get install xxx

to use.  Also, the documentation recommends renaming the libs to the names used in the .ini file.  I don't think this is a very good idea as sometimes two libs may know and reference each other's names.  I think it is safer to change the .ini file to point to the lib files.

Lou

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 6, 2024, 2:00:30 PMJun 6
to VAST Community Forum
It looks like the OpenSSL libs are already installed on Raspberry Pi OS bookworm.  My problem now is that I can't find where they live, so I can copy them or point the .ini file to them.

Lou

Klaus

Jun 7, 2024, 3:55:53 AMJun 7
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Lou,

try this in a bash shell on your Raspberry:
sudo find / -name *ssl*.so
and sudo find / -name *cryp*.so

On my old buster Raspberry in 32-Bit I found the libs libssl3.so and libcryt.so in the directory /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
I hope this helps

Greetings
Klaus

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 7, 2024, 3:53:04 PMJun 7
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Klaus,

Thank you very much for the help.  It was exactly what I needed to find the files.  Coping them to the bin folder solved the problems.

Lou

Klaus

Jun 10, 2024, 3:53:06 AMJun 10
to VAST Community Forum
Hi Lou,

I'm glad and good to know, that it works :-) This will be useful, when I'll setup my own Raspberry with VASmalltalk. When I stopped working as an external consultant.

Greetings
Klaus

Louis LaBrunda

Jun 12, 2024, 9:47:57 AMJun 12
to VAST Community Forum
Hey Klaus,

Let me know when you start to play with VA Smalltalk on the Raspberry.  I'm documenting the process of setting up a VA Smalltalk development environment and the run time environment.  The Linux setup is very much the same between the two.  The VA Smalltalk parts are different.  The Linux install stuff of the  development environment works well and is easier then the run time setup.

I treat the Raspberries as personal computers that aren't easily accessed from the outside world and as such, I like full super user control.  I am far from a Linux expert (and don't want to be one) but I have worked out somethings that aren't normally recommended but that make life a lot easier.  What I am documenting is very specific to my program but I think a lot of it will be helpful to anyone trying to do anything at all similar.

Lou