VAST does connect to remote PostgreSQL servers

Joachim Tuchel

Mar 14, 2024, 10:54:22 AMMar 14
to VAST Community Forum
Hi there,

I was planning to move from our current database to PostgreSQL for a long time and still am. One thing that made me shy away is a misleading sentence in the documentation:

I thought it's probably not worth trying until Instantiations fixed that. In fact, I think this sentence is simply misleading. It just means you need access to a local libql (.dll) and not that you can only run on a PostgreSQl server locally. So I decided to just try, because the way I understand it, this is all just a question of prociding the right connect String to the driver.... And it turns out there is no (and I guess never has been) a problem with PostgreSQl remote connections.

You can read how I set up a VAST 2024 image on Windows 10 to connect o a remote PostgreSQL server on Ubuntu in my blog post here:

My next step will be to experiment with Glorp on this setup. Not sure when I find the time, but I plan on writing my findings down when I do.

Joachim

Esteban A. Maringolo

Mar 18, 2024, 10:20:11 AMMar 18
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

Regarding:

"The current PostgreSQL database support requires that the database be local to where you are running your image (localhost)."

This may have been an old limitation, but it hasn't been for a couple of releases. We have created an internal case to remove that from the docs.

Thanks for reporting it.

Regards,

Esteban Maringolo

Senior Software Developer

 emari...@instantiations.com
 @emaringolo
 /emaringolo
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev