Loss of a pioneer Va Guzzi enthusiast

Ron

Feb 17, 2021, 11:16:09 AM2/17/21
to VA Guzzi
 Va Guzzisti,
I'm sad to pass on a message I received from Francis Burke:

Ron, I'm so sad to let you know than Larry has passed away. My heart is broken.
I've attached his obituary from the funeral home.

Fran
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/virginia-beach-va/lawrence-burke-10045373

For those of you who are more recent Guzzisti, & never had occasion to meet Larry, he was a true pioneer in promoting the marque in Va. Larry was a MGNOC Rep in New Jersey before moving to Va. in (I believe) 1979. He was a "mover & shaker" in getting the Guzzi Riders organized. A group gathered at a Denny's restaurant in Norfolk in 1980 to compose bylaws for a new Moto Guzzi Club in Va. April 11. 1980 a charter for the Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club was issued by Frank Wedge. The new club had a proto-rally event in Westmoreland in 1981. In the spring of 1982 a group ride from Norfolk up to Sherando Lake took place to "check out" the facilities. This resulted in the first official Va Guzzi Rally in August of 1982. I made a ride down to Norfolk to attend a club meeting after I joined in '82, meeting Larry for the first time. I attended my first Va rally in 1983 & really saw him in action.
Larry had fiery red hair, & lived up to all the stereotypes of passionate, energetic, enthusiastic red heads....with a TEMPER to match! LOL. Larry was always a key member of the group from Tidewater setting an example of how to run a club & put on events that I watched & learned from year after year. He will be missed.

Ron