August '21 Va Guzzi Riders Lunch Report

1 view

Ron

Aug 17, 2021, 10:51:05 AM8/17/21
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,
HOT, HOT, HOT.....the weatherguessers monotonous drone all week. Saturday morning about 10 AM it whomped me when I backed the V7 out of the garage. I was getting an early start as I had to make stops to gas-up & buy something for lunch. I put an iceblock in a soft cooler w/a bottle of water & chucked it into the tail-trunk. I love the way that 40L Hepco-Becker just swallows what ever I need to take along. The heat was building fast as I got into my jacket,  gloves & helmet, but as soon as I got moving the ventilated Tourmaster did its job. It was comfortable & felt good to be out on the bike. In "Hog Town" (Madison Heights) a stop at Sheetz filled the bike tank & at Food Lion got me a sandwich, pasta salad, & lemonade for my tank later.  I zoomed the bypass to Amherst, then 60 West to 778 North. Those are my old stomping-grounds, I owned 88 acres & lived just a half mile from the Stonehouse lake from 1975-85. I knew I was early & took the long way around, enjoying the views of the mountains I saw every day when I lived up there.
I was first at the Stonehouse pavilion, still only 11:30. First to arrive (from furthest away) were Charlie Mullendore & Carl Fugate in Charlie's VW van. Charlie had come down to pick up a Benelli 175 "project" I had in my barn & Carl came along for the ride. it was after 12:00 when Mike & Nate Jones rolled in, Mike on his Carb Sport, & Nate on the 750 Breva. A few minutes later David Phillips arrived driving a P-up.  6 folks, 3 Guzzi's lined up in the lot. We all dug in to our lunches & caught up on what's been happening in the world & our lives. David & Carl had their heads together, while the rest of us talked bikes, cars, etc. etc. The lake park was not at all busy, there were only 3-4 vehicles going in or out the whole time we were there.
The predicted high for the afternoon was well into the 90's, & Charlie had a long drive home, So I loaded up & they followed me out earlier than I usually leave the lunch.  The heat on the ride home to Mt Olivet Church Rd. , especially when I got out on the bypass was way more than the ventilated jacket could do anything about. i was "cooking" by the time  we got to the house. We went down to the back of the barn & Charlie dragged the Benelli out, pushed it up through the yard & loaded it up in the van. I had a thought & checked my box of Dellorto carbs/& parts. I found a square-slide 22mm, the right size for the Benelli. I am happy that Charlie's new "gem" was a little closer to complete. Alice came out & we hung-out for a few minutes, then they rolled out heading back to Maryland. I didn't do much the rest of the day but recover.
Hopefully better weather next month, see ya then!
Ron