April '22 Va Guzzi Riders Lunch Report

Ron

Apr 19, 2022, 10:54:08 AM4/19/22
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,
A beautiful day to ride Saturday found just 2 Guzzis parked outside Nick's in Buena Vista.  The bikes are "brothers" both 2017 V7III's, my blue Special & Allyn Chappell's black Stone. We had an extended pre lunch tire kicking session, checking out the bikes & what we are doing to personalize them.  At 12:40 we went on in. After seeing the round table all set up for 8, I apologized to the waitress for our poor turn-out. She was gracious about it, Allyn & I took the table next to the window where we could see our bikes. I remember a lunch years ago, at the same table, looking out the window & seeing a local kid trying to steal the chrome tire valve caps from my bike. I rapped on the window to get his attention, glared at him, & gave him a slow shake of the head, he hauled ass around the side of the restaurant out of sight. Allyn & I were solving the world's problems after ordering when the waitress came back to the table w/bad news, they were sold out of  clams. No red clam sauce for Ron today, bummer. I changed my order to the same thing Allyn had coming,  a vegi calzone.   No corners being cut here, the calzones were huge, hanging off the sides of the plates. We both took enough home for another lunch. For the ride home we decided to take 60 to the parkway, South to the intersection w/130, then 130 to the expressway in Madison Heights. Allyn asked if I was OK for gas. My "trip 1" readout was only 91 miles, so I said "let's roll".  Just as we  were turning off the Parkway on 130 my low gas idiot light came on. (no simple "reserve" petcock on these super-zoot computerized modern bikes!). My first thought "What the f***?"
Then, thinking about it, I realized that when I was trying to figure out the button sequence to change the over-rev warning light I must have reset the "trip 1" that I use to monitor how much gas I have left.  There's definitely a learning curve that I'm not done with for all the electronic gadgetry built into the bike. The over rev is still set on 4500 RPM (from the factory for break-in). & a bright red light starts madly flashing every time I wind her up a little. Allyn's has been reset, but it was done by another V7 rider at a rally not long after he bought the bike. He didn't watch the process closely, and so couldn't help me. The button sequence is described in the owners manual, in multiple languages no less. But it is not "user friendly" ..........Well, I guess "old fart user friendly" would be more accurate!
I stopped for gas in Elon, Allyn pulled in after me & I said "I now know I can go at least 12 miles w/the low gas light on"  I filled the bike on the side stand, so didn't get the "last drop" in, but it appears there's at least a gallon left in the tank when the light comes on, meaning 50 miles or so.  Oh yea, that was $5.25 a gallon for hi-test at the Valero in Elon......and the beat goes on.
Spring is trying, winter is hanging on grimly & we're all (hopefully) getting some riding in.....Y'all be safe out there.
 Ron