July '21 Va Guzzi Riders Lunch Report

Ron

Jul 19, 2021, 11:10:11 AM7/19/21
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,
The radar showed the line of thunderstorms moving across the Midwest heading our way. But, the local weatherguess Saturday morning had the storms hitting here about 4:30 PM. OK, so we ride! I'd finally gotten around to taking my Tourmaster
"Sonora" ventilated jacket to the alterations shop & having my Guzzi patches sewn on...and of course the Grateful Dead "Shakedown Street" patch on the front. The Jacket is hi-vis day-glo yellow, so the red, green, & gold patches really "jump" It's odd but I feel  safer wearing it than the black Tourmaster "Transitions" jacket.  To the last 5 lunches I'd ridden the Eldo twice, the V11 twice, and last month the V7, so the V7 was "up" for Saturday's ride.
I read a post on Wildguzzi from an other  V-7III owner asking about re-mapping the bike to smooth out throttle response, so I was conscious of it during the riding Saturday. He is correct, it takes a careful throttle-hand to be smooth.  I have the hook-up cables, and a small ASUS tablet computer w/Guzzi-diag loaded, but I haven't had the courage/confidence to mess w/the mapping of a decent running bike. I'll watch & learn a while.
It was a beautiful morning, the bike wanted to GO, so I zipped along, arriving at A Taste of Italy a little early. Inside, on a chalkboard they had a "help wanted" sign. It had a list of desired attributes, like  "Must be dependable", "Customer friendly" etc. etc., 5 or 6 items. But they'd all been crossed out, and "Must have a heart-beat" written at the bottom. They had two waitresses , and two guys in the back preparing food working a Saturday lunch. I heard a bike outside that turned out to be Lannis Selz on his classic Norton. We were catching up when Allyn & Suzie Chappell came in, they had decided to cage & enjoy the AC. The waitress kept checking on us, I told her I expected a few more. A few minutes later Mike & Laura Jones came in. I got up & looked out the window to see they had the Ambassodor/sidecar rig parked in the line. So, we had a quite eclectic mix of bikes outside.  We quickly moved a second table so we could "social distance".  The menu was quite reduced from what I remembered, Mike was very disappointed that they no longer had his favorite  eggplant parmigiana sub. Laura was in the mood for shrimp & ordered an "appetizer" plate of fried shrimp/french fries & a side salad.  When delivered her eyes opened wide, the appetizer must have been intended to share! Service was a little slow, by the time we ordered there were 4 other tables w/ small groups. The guys in the back were hustling. As usual, conversation around the table ranged like free-surfing the internet. From  Allyn wishing he'd brought the Mille/sidecar, (would have been cool to have two sidecar rigs side by side outside), to a lot of interest in gardening!
When the food was served we all dug in & I didn't hears any complaints,  Allyn & I both got sausage & pepper calzones w/mushrooms added....and had to get boxes to take some of it home. We were finishing up when there was a loud rumbling of thunder...UH-OH! Lannis went out to bring his helmet in off the bike, we could see the sky darkening. We got about paying our checks & getting ready to head home w/out our usual leisurely after lunch tire kicking  session. I asked the waitress about their situation when I was paying, she said they were short-handed & had been forced to reduce the menu to keep operating through the pandemic....and now new-case numbers are on the rise again.
I pulled out a minute or 2 behind Lannis, & never saw a trace of him, he must have twisted that "Snortin' Norten's" tail!  I headed up 29 for home....got abut a mile and the sky opened up. I ducked down behind the windshield & kept on getting it.  The V7 was rock solid, no wiggle or squirm even when riding through flows of dirty water sweeping across the road. The rain let up as I was approaching my turn onto Rt 24 toward Concord. I was soaked from the knees down and both arms, so far so good.... but then it REALLY opened up as I got a couple miles up the road. By the time I got home I had the first trickles down my crotch, sigh! such fun. I undressed on the back porch & hung all the stuff on the clothes lines to drip out. It wasn't even 3:00, so the good-ole weatherguessers missed it by a little!
I'll be scheduling next month on the second Saturday (Aug 14th). As I announced at the table, if the numbers keep rising we may be back to picnicking again, nobody objected.
Ride safe, stay healthy, hope to see ya soon!
Ron