February '22 Va Guzzi Riders lunch report

Ron

Feb 21, 2022, 2:21:49 PM2/21/22
to VA Guzzi
 Va Guzzisti,
A "brisk" ride Saturday morning. I wished I had another layer under my "draggin'Jeans" and on my arms. First longer ride on the V7 w/the heavy springs on the shocks. I'm told the factory shocks are set up for a 165 lb rider, well I'm "somewhat" heavier than that (LOL). I've been bottoming the stockers & looking at replacement  shocks. There are a slew of cheap Chinese made ones selling for around $100.00 a pair, but then a BIG jump (some to over 1K a pair) for quality name brand units. Options are limited by the rear frame design of the V7, especially with the Givi bag mounts bolting over the top shock mount.  I'm waiting to hear from Harpers re/a pair of Progressive shocks w/ proper springs for my weight. Meantime, I dug through my parts stash & pulled a pair of springs off old loop-frame shocks, I figured (correctly) they'd be stiffer & the I.D. is OK, but unfortunately they are also longer than stock. So,  just putting them on the shock bodies in effect preloaded them. The result is that they overwhelm the (pitiful) damping the stock shocks provide, & now I'm bouncing. Ah, such fun!
I was second to arrive at the Drugstore Grill, Stuart Ostroff was in the process of stripping off his outer layer next to his gorgeous new  red & white V85TT. We were getting acquainted when Allyn Chappell rolled in on his Mille-GT/sidecar rig.  He said he was on the Mille because it had the wiring for his heated duds, which was good, but he said the heavy winds were "not his friend" dealing w/the light sidecar-even thought he had some ballast-weight in it. We got into some tire-kicking, but the cold drove us on inside. A bit later Bob Corfield arrived on his yellow & white V85TT. And finally David Phillips driving a cage. So we had 4 Guzzis lined up outside on a brisk February afternoon. Bob & Stuart had both come half-way across the state, meaning they had to start earlier (colder) than Allyn & I. I really appreciate all the folks who come out to these meets.
We were all (I think) a little disappointed in the service we received, the young lady was right on the ball w/getting our drinks when we sat down, but thereafter ignored us unless we hollered & waved her down. The restaurant wasn't that busy, & she was out of sight back in the kitchen most of the time. The food was up to it's usual standard, my pulled pork sandwich was excellent & had good coleslaw to go with. There was a big chunk of bone in w/the meat, but fortunately I found it w/out chomping on it. Everyone else seemed happy w/their lunch (at least the conversation sure stopped!).  I was happy that the conversation was almost all bikes, little mention of the damn virus and none about national or international politics, such a relief. After we finally got the young ladies' attention we got our checks paid & gathered for a few minutes more tire kicking outside. It was still too brisk & windy! to stand around much, so we loaded up & headed home. Bob & Stuart rode out together, (I swear, Bob knows EVERY good motorcycle road in this end of the State). Allyn & I were pretty much limited to heading up 501. He turned off on a road heading to Lynchburg I wasn't familiar with, so when he disappeared from my  mirrors I stopped, waited, & rode back looking for him.  Turned out he'd taken 686 to 685 & then on West toward home. Moral, always discuss "the plan" before heading up the road.
Hoping to see 'yall at a meet soon,
Ron