October 2020 Va Guzzi Riders Lunch Meet Report

Ron

Oct 18, 2020, 11:51:10 AM10/18/20
to VA Guzzi

Va Guzzisti,

My recovery from knee replacement surgery is progressing. I didn't bother the Dr. with the question of my driving, I went out, got in the truck & tried the knee out in quick change from gas to brake pedal. There was no pain, & after raising  the steering wheel slightly, I felt it was quick enough.  So I've been driving for a couple weeks now.

Saturday morning Alice & I  loaded up a small cooler w/some drinks, and the truck w/several layers of warm clothing, including our battery-powered electric vests. We headed out, making a stop at Drumheller's orchard  to stock up on fresh apples, and Vito's restaurant in Lovingston for a sub to share. The turkey/bacon/avocado sub came w/a generous side of home-made potato chips that were a pleasant surprise.

Heading on North toward the Nelson Wayside we went through a long work area, it was odd in that all the North-South lane cross-overs were blocked, so you couldn't even turn around if you wanted to. The work was stringing new electric lines over the highway, so both lanes were affected. We were able to drive through slowly w/out a stop. Those who came along a little later were stopped & had to follow the guide vehicle etc.

Arriving at the wayside we claimed one of the covered picnic tables. They were fixed & spread out so that there was no way to put two together. The work zone hold up caught the rest of the folks coming to the lunch, but eventually Mike Jones, riding Nate's NInja, Nate Jones, riding his Breva, Allyn Chappell riding his V7III and David Phillips in a cage all arrived. I had a couple folding chairs in the truck, which we brought down so that 6 of us  could social distance around a single picnic table. Lunch conversation was varied & interesting, especially the comments on food prices and the large number of empty shelves in the super-markets.

My special thanks to Mike for hosting these two lunches while I was down. I asked the group about being ready to  start going to restaurants again & got a positive response.  On the way home Alice & I stopped at Stonehouse Creek Park in Northern Amherst County. We found it to be lovely, a nice pavilion w/numerous picnic tables, clean restrooms w/flush toilets, gravel parking area, everything neatly mowed & obviously well cared for.......and we were the only ones there on a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon. So next month, we'll see, if the weather guess is promising perhaps one more lunch outside in 2020. Otherwise, it will most likely be Bella Italia in Bedford. For anyone who hasn't been to one of our lunches there, the restaurant is in a huge building that used to be a car dealership. It has a very high arched roofline, and only 8 foot walls dividing up the area into dining rooms...meaning it is THE most open-air restaurant we regularly visit for lunch, and Mike says they have the best eggplant sub!

Stay healthy, Ride safe, see y'all next month.

Ron