Andrew-Updates

Ron

Oct 28, 2022, 11:08:47 AM10/28/22
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,
Thanks to a suggestion from our NC friends  Mark & Barbara, Bob Corfield & I went through Registration sheets from past rallies, (duh! forehead slap, why didn't I think of that?). I have the file for 2016 & Bob has one for 2017 where we found Andrew had listed his brother-in-law Kevin in Northern Va. as an emergency contact. I've made contact with Kevin & have some up to date info.
First, an update from Gary, a riding buddy, this arrived in my email this morning:

Folks,
I just wanted to send a quick update so you weren't left hanging. I spoke with one of Andrew's sisters last week. His untimely death was indeed related to the recent surgery and may have resulted from a problem with his prescribed meds. His family is planning a memorial service and they'll reach out to me with details once that's sorted out. I'll share this info as soon as it becomes available.
I want to thank Susan Agin and Tim McHale for their help tracking information. There was very little available via web searches and they helped find contacts who could shed some light. You guys are great!
Gary

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 9:38 PM Gary <eurobr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes Mike, Godspeed to our brother. He will be so sorely missed.

Here's how things played-out as I experienced it. Andrew and I had a running text conversation and were recently comparing notes on a Griso I just purchased. He had a "routine" surgery on 13 September, to correct an old neck/spine ailment. I contacted him the next day and he was doing super well - in great spirits. We chatted about taking a bike trip together next spring when he was 100%. Side note: his neck pain had kept him from riding much in the last two years. Anyway, we caught-up almost daily for the next week and his outlook was fantastic. Our last exchange was on the evening of 20 September. I sent him a message the following morning and...no reply. In the following weeks, after a few attempts at reaching him via text and phone, I began to worry. I remembered the name of the practice who handled his surgery and called them this morning. It turns out his brother-in-law recently called to notify them that Andrew would not be making his follow-up appointment because he had just passed. The staff couldn't give me any more information than that. I don't know how he died or exactly when, or even a way to contact his sister (in Falls Church) to offer my sympathy. I spent a lot of time searching the Internet today and found nothing.
Andrew was a terrific friend to everyone who know him. My heart is very heavy over this loss.
Please stay well folks. I will share if I find anything more about what happened...please do the same.
Gary

From Kevin I understand that the family is still somewhat in shock.  Andrew has a brother in Tennessee, a sister in North Carolina, and Kevin's wife in Northern Va.  As Gary says above, they are planning a memorial service, as soon as more info is available, we will get it out to you. For now, I have an address where condolence cards can be sent. I'm sure anything you would care to send would be greatly appreciated. Please email me for this address, I'd rather not publish it generally as I want to respect the family's privacy until I have definite word otherwise.

Thanks, ride safe,
Ron