Sad News

Ron

Oct 14, 2022, 10:12:38 AM10/14/22
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,

We have lost another avid Va Rider. I received a brief  email saying that Andrew Culpepper had passed away. This is the follow-up:

Here's how things played-out as I experienced it. Andrew and I had a running text conversation and were recently comparing notes on a Griso I just purchased. He had a "routine" surgery on 13 September, to correct an old neck/spine ailment. I contacted him the next day and he was doing super well - in great spirits. We chatted about taking a bike trip together next spring when he was 100%. Side note: his neck pain had kept him from riding much in the last two years. Anyway, we caught-up almost daily for the next week and his outlook was fantastic. Our last exchange was on the evening of 20 September. I sent him a message the following morning and...no reply. In the following weeks, after a few attempts at reaching him via text and phone, I began to worry. I remembered the name of the practice who handled his surgery and called them this morning. It turns out his brother-in-law recently called to notify them that Andrew would not be making his follow-up appointment because he had just passed. The staff couldn't give me any more information than that. I don't know how he died or exactly when, or even a way to contact his sister (in Falls Church) to offer my sympathy. I spent a lot of time searching the Internet today and found nothing.

Andrew was a terrific friend to everyone who know him. My heart is very heavy over this loss.

Please stay well folks. I will share if I find anything more about what happened...please do the same.

Gary

For any of y'all who never had the pleasure of meeting Andrew, he was one of the good guys, soft-spoken but enthusiastic about motorcycles especially Moto Guzzis. For many years he hosted a monthly Guzzi dinner in Manassas. I only made it up there a couple of times, horrendous traffic & night ride home put the kibosh on it for me. But when I did get there I had a good time w/Guzzi folks I don't get to see often.  I am most grateful to Andrew for carrying the Guzzi banner up North. Also, to Gary Cobb who hosted a monthly Guzzi meet in the Richmond area, and Rich Maund for hosting one "down East" in Tidewater.

When I know more I'll pass it along to y'all.

Ron