Sept. '22 Va. Guzzi Riders lunch meet report

Ron

Sep 18, 2022, 3:00:59 PM9/18/22
to VA Guzzi
 Guzzisti,
I'd pulled out my Virginia Gazetteer map book & plotted out some back roads to take going up to Scottsville. I put my "old school GPS" ( a hand written list of roads & turns) in the magnetic map holder & stuck it atop the tank on the V7.  I got going a tad late, then noticed that the trip odometer was reading over 150 miles on the tank of gas. I decided that I'd ride the main roads (just in case) & see when the low fuel light wound come on, & possibly how far I could go after it came on. So, I was cruising along the familiar roads, enjoying the PERFECT weather, when I caught up to Allyn Chappell driving his Guzzi Mille sidecar rig W/Suzie riding in the 'car. I followed along for a while, impressed w/ Suzie leaning out of the car to help in the turns. Allyn turned off Rt 60 on to one of the no-line black-top side roads I'd planned on using. But my fuel test had changed my plans, so I continued on the main roads. The low fuel light came on Rt 20, reading 193 miles, about 16 miles from Scottsville, so I just rolled on into town, parking w/the other bikes just down the street from Amici's. After lunch I rode across the street & gassed up, taking 4.15 gallons. After I got home, I checked the riders manual & saw that the tank capacity is 5.55 gallons, so I  still had plenty of reserve. The Hepco- Becker centerstand I put on the bike is a PITA, really taking a lot of muscle to get the bike pulled up w/ nothing back there to grab, so, I've been filling the tank w/the bike on the side stand. Next time I fuel up, I'll pull it up on the centerstand after filling on the side stand to see how much more I can get in the tank.  For this tankfull, I rode 209.7 miles, using 4.158 gallons, for an average of 50.43 mpg. Not bad at all.
When I parked, the V7 was the 4th Guzzi in line, Allyn backed the Mille rig in next to me making 5. Bob Corfield remarked "5 Guzzis together, it's a rally! The first two were a V7 Stone ridden by Scott Sheffield, and a V85 ridden by Mike Swain, both riding in from the Richmond area. Next was Bob Corfield's classic SP. We headed on inside, the waitress pointed out our table for 8, & we set about parusing the amazing menu. After experiencing cut back menus at Sanzone's & A taste of Italy at our last two lunches, having 6 pages of menu + specials on the wall was refreshing. While we were checking it out Mike & Nate Jones arrived, I asked what they rode for my notes, Mike was on his Carb Sport & Nate on the Breva. Bob said  "Seven Guzzi's, Now it's a BIG rally!"  The waitress took our orders w/several folks trying "Tostitos" something I'd never seen in an Italian Restaurant before. The consensus was that they were "messy to eat, but very good" You can go to "https://www.amicisscottsville.com/" & check out the menu to see what they are. The waitress was quite good at her job, I always appreciate competence when I see it, no matter what the task. I heard no complaints about the food, & the conversation was far ranging.
Outside after lunch we found that a Harley had parked at the end of our line, the rider was putting on his helmet to leave, but there time for some good-natured banter about how a V-twin is supposed to be mounted in a motorcycle frame. He  fired up the hog, & headed (LOUDLY) up the street. We had a good tire-kicking session, The aftermarket pipes on Scott's V7 Stone were quite impressive sounding for a 750 motor.  I got to try out some of the back roads going home, the afternoon temperature had risen into the low 80's, just on the edge of being too warm by the time I rolled the V7 into the garage.
Still not a peep from anyone about keeping the Va Rally going.  We'd have made 40 years, except that we had to skip a year due to Covid. A shame to let it die.
See Y'all next month,
Ron