Debugging ICU related issue

Mathias Sven

Dec 3, 2023, 11:17:06 AM12/3/23
to v8-users
Hi,

I am trying to use V8 as a way to call a js program from C++, however there is an issue that I don't really know how to debug.

When I try to use gdb I get nothing but assembly code from the V8 side, I do have the is_debug=true flag, but it seems that it doesn't control whether C++ code is available or not like -g would when calling the compiler directly.

As for the program, if anyone has any insight, it's a parser, when the text to parse is one token only, I get an AST out, if is more than one, say 3 + 2, calling it via node works fine (I get a similarly looking AST, just with more nodes) but via V8 I get this error:

```
#
# Fatal error in ../../src/objects/intl-objects.cc, line 2478
# Debug check failed: U_SUCCESS(status).
#
#
#
#FailureMessage Object: 0x7ffc0cb58460
==== C stack trace ===============================

    ./a.out() [0x182c9e6]
    ./a.out() [0x41966b]
    ./a.out() [0x181c90b]
    ./a.out() [0x181c935]
    ./a.out() [0x8215a0]
    ./a.out() [0x18e4379]
    ./a.out() [0x18eccbd]
    ./a.out() [0x12486ff]
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
```

I am using V8 9.7.106.18, so I followed down to where the error was coming from in the right version here, but it didn't give me any specific insights into what the problem might be other than it having something to do with ICU and Unicode. It was at this point I tried gdb, but as mentioned above I couldn't get a step by on the V8 code side.

Any suggestions for how one might go about dubbing such an issue?