Unable to setup V8 build locally (//build/dotfile_settings.gni)

Alice Kile

Sep 26, 2023, 3:57:49 AM9/26/23
to v8-users
Hello,

I'm new to V8 and just trying to setup the project locally so I can=20
officially start trying to understand / read through some of the code!=20
Unfortunately I am currently stuck at a problem, I am following the=20
instructions from page below:

https://v8.dev/docs/build#building-v8

The command that is failing for me is step 3: tools/dev/gm.py x64.release

Here's the error output I am getting from running that command:

$ v8 git:(8a2d9bdb0c7) gm x64.release
# gn gen out/x64.release
ERROR at //.gn:5:1: Unable to load=20
"/~/chromium-project/src/v8/build/dotfile_settings.gni".
import("//build/dotfile_settings.gni")

Just googling around, I was able to figure out that this is likely=20
because gclient did not clone the v8/build folder all together, and it=20
does look like it but after having run gclient sync or gclient sync=20
--force, I don't see any changes so I am clueless right now as to what=20
the next course of action should be.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Alice

Ben Ernst

Sep 26, 2023, 6:23:58 AM9/26/23
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
What OS are you on, and what version of v8 are you trying to build?
Have you tried just blowing away your working directory and starting again from scratch?
Ben

Camillo Bruni

Sep 26, 2023, 7:46:00 AM9/26/23
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Just a hunch, looks like you're trying to build V8 from within a chromium checkout.
Have you run the fetch instructions for a separate checkout of V8?

Camillo Bruni | Software Engineer, V8 | Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann Str. 33, 80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891 | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Ssie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.  This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.

Alice Kile

Sep 26, 2023, 12:28:29 PM9/26/23
to v8-users
Hello, yup I actually ran the fetch instructions from the page you have linked to! And Indeed, I am fetching v8 inside an already checked out chromium folder (I checked out by using --no-history to save time)

I am running MacOS 13.4

Alice Kile

Sep 26, 2023, 4:25:57 PM9/26/23
to v8-users
Just an update to this, I've tried the advice of just "blowing away" the whole folder. I deleted the entire chromium-project folder and only fetched v8. This step has worked for me and now I am able to build everything fine! Although my original goal to clone both chromium and v8 is still not achieved, so maybe I will try that in a different folder.

Alice Kile

Sep 29, 2023, 10:55:43 AM9/29/23
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm new to V8 and just trying to setup the project locally so I can=20
officially start trying to understand / read through some of the code!=20
Unfortunately I am currently stuck at a problem, I am following the=20
instructions from page below:

https://v8.dev/docs/build#building-v8

The command that is failing for me is step 3: tools/dev/gm.py x64.release

Here's the error output I am getting from running that command:

=E2=9E=9C=C2=A0 v8 git:(8a2d9bdb0c7) gm x64.release
# gn gen out/x64.release
ERROR at //.gn:5:1: Unable to load=20
"/~/chromium-project/src/v8/build/dotfile_settings.gni".
import("//build/dotfile_settings.gni")

Just googling around, I was able to figure out that this is likely=20
because gclient did not clone the v8/build folder all together, and it=20
does look like it but after having run gclient sync or gclient sync=20
--force, I don't see any changes so I am clueless right now as to what=20
the next course of action should be.

Any help would be highly appreciated! =F0=9F=98=87

Alice

Camillo Bruni

Oct 2, 2023, 12:00:19 PM10/2/23
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
For using the same checkout in chromium and standalone I suggest using git worktree [1].
Building inside the v8 folder from within a chromium checkout doesn't work directly, however you can build the same V8 targets from the chromium src folder if that helps.

Message has been deleted

Camillo Bruni

Dec 20, 2023, 5:50:06 PM12/20/23
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Did you use "fetch v8" as exlpained on https://v8.dev/docs/source-code ?

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 13:04, eric vergnaud <ad...@prompto.cloud> wrote:
Hi,

I'm facing the exact same issue.
I am string to build v8 as a standalone project.
I have cloned depot_tools and run gclient successfully
I have cloned v8 separately and run git pull && gclient sync successfully
No 'build' directory has been created
When I run tools/dev/gm.py x64.release, I get ERROR at //.gn:5:1: Unable to load ".../v8/build/dotfile_settings.gni" (erased the root for clarity).
Are the instructions at https://v8.dev/docs/build missing a step ? Or am I misreading them ?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted