Re: [v8-users] Smaller build: removing snapshot

Jakob Kummerow

Sep 27, 2021, 7:58:59 AM9/27/21
to v8-users
Removing the snapshot is not possible. It contains many of the JavaScript built-in functions (e.g. Array.prototype.*), so V8 couldn't work without it.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM MG <martin....@akylas.fr> wrote:
I am part of the Nativescript community. There we use v8 to run all our apps JS code and bind it to native code.
Right now our v8(9.3) build is made of v8 modules "v8_compiler v8_base_without_compiler v8_libplatform v8_snapshot v8_libbase v8_bigint torque_generated_initializers" then run ar on them and build a lib from that ( we use custom cxx lib)
For example our arm64 lib is 17Mb. I am trying to investigate how to make it smaller. I would like to get rid of snapshot as we dont use it. However the "snapshot" option seems to be gone. And if i remove v8_snapshot then i ll get link errors because some snapshot stuff seems to be used in base.
Is there any way to make the libs smaller / remove snapshot?