V8 Flags

Ivan P.

Oct 29, 2015, 4:39:00 AM10/29/15
to v8-users
I know that Chrome V8 Engine has some option that can be set like "command-line" flags using v8::V8::SetFlagsFromString(). But where can I find description of the each flag? I did not succeed with googling for this info so far. Does anyone know the place in documentation or some other resource that describes V8 flags?

Jakob Kummerow

Oct 29, 2015, 5:22:01 AM10/29/15
to v8-users
https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8/+/master/src/flag-definitions.h

Spoiler: there's nothing in there that you'd want to mess with. Most flags are for debugging and development. When it makes sense to turn on a flag, we turn it on by default.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Ivan P. <ivan.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that Chrome V8 Engine has some option that can be set like "command-line" flags using v8::V8::SetFlagsFromString(). But where can I find description of the each flag? I did not succeed with googling for this info so far. Does anyone know the place in documentation or some other resource that describes V8 flags?

Michael Hablich

Oct 29, 2015, 5:28:56 AM10/29/15
to v8-users
You can also have a look at https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags. Jakob is right, normally you don't want to mess with these if you are not actively working on V8/Chromium.

Running d8 with '--help' will also show you the available flags with a short description.

Ivan Pizhenko

Oct 30, 2015, 12:32:46 PM10/30/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com

Most flags are for debugging and development

"Most flags are for debugging and development" - that's exactly what I need them for.
In particular, I want to limit memory amount that Isolate can use.