Need help in building v8 on windows8

Saiteja Sai

Jul 8, 2017, 5:29:42 PM7/8/17
to v8-users
Hi v8-users,

I have been trying to build v8 on my windows8 machine from past two days and have been facing many issues. Now, I am stuck at a point where its throwing me this error:

________ running 'E:\node\learningNode\v8\depot_tools\python276_bin\python.exe v
8/gypfiles/landmines.py' in 'E:\node\learningNode\v8\depot_tools'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "v8/gypfiles/landmines.py", line 245, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "v8/gypfiles/landmines.py", line 232, in main
    gyp_environment.set_environment()
  File "E:\node\learningNode\v8\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\gyp_environment.py", lin
e 60, in set_environment
    vs_toolchain.SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs()
  File "E:\node\learningNode\v8\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 7
6, in SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs
    os.environ['GYP_MSVS_OVERRIDE_PATH'] = DetectVisualStudioPath()
  File "E:\node\learningNode\v8\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 1
30, in DetectVisualStudioPath
    version_as_year, ', '.join(year_to_version.keys())))
Exception: Visual Studio version 2017 (from GYP_MSVS_VERSION) not supported. Sup
ported versions are: 2015, 2013
Error: Command 'E:\\node\\learningNode\\v8\\depot_tools\\python276_bin\\python.e
xe v8/gypfiles/landmines.py' returned non-zero exit status 1 in E:\node\learning
Node\v8\depot_tools

I have tried it by installing visual studio 2013 and with that I am getting same error but this time saying 2013 is not supported, supported are 2015 and 2017

Can any one in this group help me out with the build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael Achenbach

Jul 10, 2017, 4:52:46 AM7/10/17
to v8-users, Bruce Dawson, Yang Guo
Officially we currently support version 2015 in V8 only. 2013 won't work anymore because of unsupported C++ features (I think).

Chromium seems to start supporting 2017 as well, but in V8 we have a few legacy scripts that are not up-to-date with Chromium.

E.g. v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py is an old version of the respective file in Chromium.

A complication is that Chromium doesn't support GYP any longer, so I don't know if the features added to make MSVS 2017 work would be used in V8's legacy GYP workflow at all. CC'ing Bruce in case he has any idea.

I suggest you just edit the failing file and hard-code using the MSVS version you have. E.g. hard-code 2017 in v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py. I'd also support a CL that updates those files accordingly to support 2017 properly.

What we're really heading towards is dropping those legacy files in V8 and use deps'ed files in v8/build (the ones coming from Chromium). But that'll go hand-in-hand with deprecating the v8-side GYP workflow entirely.

Bruce Dawson

Jul 10, 2017, 1:20:01 PM7/10/17
to Michael Achenbach, v8-users, Yang Guo
Resending now that I've joined the group...

Officially we currently support version 2015 in V8 only. 2013 won't work anymore because of unsupported C++ features (I think)

Yep.

Chromium has been capable of being built by VS 2017 for a few months now - I've been using that as my default compiler and IDE for Chrome. The default is still VS 2015 (that's what the build machines use) but the v8 code builds fine with VS 2017.

Chromium still uses some *gyp*.py files for things like finding the compiler toolchain - we haven't had a compelling need to remove them yet. v8 could probably pull or copy those files in and get VS 2017 support fairly easily.

It would be nice for v8 to pull in the compiler-related files through DEPS. For instance, I updated the version of VS 2015 that Chromium uses to build (I did this in order to get a new Windows 10 SDK but as a side-effect we got a slightly upgraded compiler) which means that Chromium now builds with a slightly different VS 2015 compiler from v8.

Michael Achenbach

Jul 11, 2017, 2:37:12 AM7/11/17
to v8-users, mache...@google.com, yan...@chromium.org
Thanks Bruce!