Build error on Ubuntu 20.10

Richard

May 4, 2021, 9:51:41 PM5/4/21
to v8-users
I"m getting the following error when building on Ubuntu 20.10:

ERROR at //build/config/sysroot.gni:65:11: Script returned non-zero exit code.
exec_script("//build/dir_exists.py",
^----------
Current dir: /current/dir/
Command: python /home/dir/v8/v8/build/dir_exists.py /home/dir/v8/v8/build/linux/debian_sid_amd64-sysroot
Returned 127.
See //build/toolchain/linux/BUILD.gn:6:1: whence it was imported.
import("//build/config/sysroot.gni")
^----------------------------------
See //BUILD.gn:1248:1: which caused the file to be included.
action("postmortem-metadata") {
^------------------------------

My gn settings are:

is_component_build = false
is_debug = false
target_cpu = "x64"
use_custom_libcxx = false
v8_monolithic = true
v8_use_external_startup_data = false
is_clang = true

The same settings are building OK with Windows and MacOS.

Any ideas?

Richard

May 4, 2021, 10:03:10 PM5/4/21
to v8-users
It turns out for Ubuntu, you need to have Python2 as your default python installation, not Python3.

ron...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 2:25:28 AM5/5/21
to v8-users
Kismet. Just stumbled on re-remembering the same problem when I moved my setup
to a WSL Ubuntu today.  I think I will change my bash script meant to shield me from
Google pain so that it inserts depot_tools/boots...@3.8.9.chromium.14_bin/python/bin
into the path if it's not already there. Of course, the path presumably changes...

I wonder why the massive build monstrosity can't realize it packed its own
Python for the journey and just use that one correctly?

Also noticed today that gn chokes if glib is not installed. Wish the build system
could say things like "I'm missing X, which I need" instead of a stack traceback
for simple failed requirements.