Searching memory to ensure secrets are wiped?

Lee

Mar 11, 2022, 4:16:51 PM3/11/22
to v8-users
I've taken about a good 6 hours now trying to find strings in Chromium memory without any success. I've used Ghidra, and now binwalk and bless hex editor to search running process and memory dumps of Chromium for strings that should be present in memory, but they are not found.

Does V8 employ some sort of on the fly encryption or compression or custom textual representation which makes searching for strings non-trivial?

I've gone as far as extracting compressed portions of memory using binwalk and decompressing zlib blocks but none are relevant...

My end goal is to verify at certain moments in my program that a secret is no longer present. Simply doing `a = '''` is not sufficient enough for me to be sure - I want actually check memory.

Thank you very, very much!