Feature Request - V8 should support AOT(Ahead-of-Time) compilation of JavaScript.

Mina Yoo

May 13, 2024, 4:47:44 AMMay 13
to v8-dev
Of course V8 engine's first target is chromium, but there are so many JavaScript runtimes using V8 as its JS engine.

So I hope if V8 support not only JIT(Just-in-Time) compile, but also AOT(Ahead-of-Time) compile.

Hermes engine for react native is going to support AOT compilation of JS with type estimation.

Jakob Kummerow

May 13, 2024, 4:59:13 AMMay 13
to v8-...@googlegroups.com
This is unlikely to happen.

As you wrote, V8 primarily targets Chromium's needs, and those bring enough challenge and complexity. V8 isn't designed for AOT compilation, we think building such support would likely be a lot of effort, and we have no plans to spend any time on it.

We're entirely fine with it when other JS engines specialize for different (non-browser) use cases. The world is a large place and has room for many engines in it :-)