Can I start working on issue 13187?

Mark Deca

Oct 16, 2022, 9:39:48 PM10/16/22
to v8-dev
Hi. I'm new to v8 development.
I scanned a list of bugs and found the one that seems easy for me to handle: Issue 13187.
Can I start working on this issue? Since its status is labeled as "Untriaged", I feel like I should wait until a project member confirms it (and its root cause?).

Also, pertaining to issue's status, is the following understanding correct?
  • Untriaged: Issue is still being confirmed by project members and we should wait
  • Available: Issue is confirmed; We can start working on it
  • Assigned: Someone is responsible for the issue
  • Started: Someone started working on it
Thx,

Leszek Swirski

Oct 17, 2022, 1:47:09 AM10/17/22
to v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking this on. In general, your understanding is correct, except "Untriaged" is something more along the lines of "no one has had time to look at this yet" -- if you check the bug and confirm it (or even find the root cause) that's already a valuable contribution. Note that sometimes we can be a bit lazy with updating bug status, so it's usually a good idea to send a quick message on the bug to double check that someone isn't already working on it.

- Leszek

Mark Deca

Oct 17, 2022, 3:50:17 AM10/17/22
to v8-dev
Hi Leszek,

Thanks for checking!

> Note that sometimes we can be a bit lazy with updating bug status, so it's usually a good idea to send a quick message on the bug to double check that someone isn't already working on it.

OK, I understand.

Actually, I've already checked the bug and posted some considerations on it including its probable cause.
I think I can fix this issue, but I should wait for a member's response, right?